Culling my flock...

chicken boy sam

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
So my current flock consists of many different shapes, breeds, and sizes of chickens... But my main idea is to have some bantams for show and some egg layers!!! So here are my keep/cull lists...

Keep:

2 yr old d'anver (Show)
5 yo orpington (Flock leader)
3 yo polish (Friendliest thing in the world!)
unknown age oegb (Show)
2 yo bantam cohin (Great mom, extremely friendly)
3 yr old leghorn (1st chicken EVER)
5 yr old bantam dark brahma (On the fence about this one...)

Cull:

3 yr old leghorn x5 (Are barely laying any eggs)
3 yr old polish x2 (Ones skittish, one has turned mean to humans do GOODBYE!)
unknown easter egger

How does that sound?

POLISH?!?!?!
hit.gif
hit.gif
How could you possibly cull those things?!
I understand culling the mean one, but why the skittish? She can be taught if you approach her slowly and give her treats!!
hit.gif

Is your skittish polish a hen?
is it a polish bantam? what kind?

(i'm looking for a polish hen/pullet. I could give it a home instead of you having to kill it. I also live in CT)

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not gonna kill her, shell probably go to the auction!!!

And foxypoproxy, you wouldn't want her... She literally clings to the other side when you approach and I've been battling her leg mites for a while and they just won't leave!!!! If you go to the nationals up in Springfield Mass. in Jan/Feb you can get some nice quality bantam polish from a really good breeder. I can't remember her name....

Quote:
You can also stalk craigslist (LOL I tend to do that!!!) and at many shows they'll have them for sale (None at the Guilford Fair
big_smile.png
)

Quote:
You can also stalk craigslist (LOL I tend to do that!!!) and at many shows they'll have them for sale (None at the Guilford Fair
big_smile.png
)

Ya, i check craigslist but there are no polish on there, that i have found.
Lol, i checked the guilford fair XD.
I only saw one polish and it was a WCB standard hen (not for sale).
Normally i see more polish at least "shown" there. This time there were like none o_o!
Where did all the polish go!? D:!

I couldn't go to the durham fair this year
hmm.png
so i'm not sure about the other chicken fairs in CT.
I also often worry about getting them from fairs because i saw a few sick ones at the guilford fair.
And, if these chickens are all caged next to each other, can't they infect each other?

Quote:
big_smile.png
)

Ya, i check craigslist but there are no polish on there, that i have found.
Lol, i checked the guilford fair XD.
I only saw one polish and it was a WCB standard hen (not for sale).
Normally i see more polish at least "shown" there. This time there were like none o_o!
Where did all the polish go!? D:!

I couldn't go to the durham fair this year
hmm.png
so i'm not sure about the other chicken fairs in CT.
I also often worry about getting them from fairs because i saw a few sick ones at the guilford fair.
And, if these chickens are all caged next to each other, can't they infect each other?

I could GUARANTEE you there were no sick ones at the fair.... Probably some that were dirty, but thats about it! And last year, I had 2 polish there, but this year I did not.

I think culling a flock is hard for me - I know they aren't our pets, but I want to keep them all FOREVER
smile.png
HAHA! I'm sure you've put alot of thought into that list - it seems like you have a good mix and are keeping the best/behaved of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom