1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Culling Project Birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by austin.ray22, Oct 21, 2010.

1. austin.ray22

austin.ray22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    I am curious as to how you guys handle culling your lesser quality project birds. Do you sell them as laying hens or do they all stay on the farm and become dinner? Some seem to guard their projects in secrecy and i would think that selling the birds would disclose some information. I know others work together on projects. It was just a question that crossed my mind as I wanderd the forum today.

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I was going to give away my cull seramas.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's actually a really good question, as I'm going through that right now. Yes, selling them off will give up disclosure, but to me if you sell them as mutt chickens to locals who just want laying hens or something, . . . . I have yet to be caught. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. austin.ray22

austin.ray22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    I thought that same thing as well that they could be sold as mutts, but when you get to a third or fourth generation bird, you are selling an expensive laying hen or chicken soup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by