Culling the Flock?

Quote:
I grew up killing and processing chickens for the kitchen and do it now, but I don't enjoy the killing part. It is just part of keeping chickens for meat and eggs so I do what I have to. It sounds like you would be happy to process the bird and cook it if you could fine someone to do the actual killing for you. Part of the problem sounds like you want to motivate your husband to actually do the job. I don't know know the dynamics between you and your husband, so I will stay out of that one.

Some suggestions:

Talk to the people at the feed store and explain your problem. You have 8 grown chickens you want to process. Maybe they would know of someone who would help you process the chickens if they get some of the meat. This way you get someone who can do the deed and who has experience in processing so you can learn the little tricks and methods that make it easier. After you see it done, you may decide you can do it yourself or you may have a system working.

Put an add on Craigslist for someone to help process the chickens. I don't like this since you never know who will answer the ad. It could be somebody fine, somebody you don't want to know where you live, or somebody that will harrass you for even thinking about processing a living animal. I'll still mention it as a possible option. For all I know, you might be the person I don't want to know where I live.

Talk to your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government, and see if they know anyone in your area that processes chickens. Odds are, they do. Whether they do it for part of the meat or charge you a specific cost is up to you and them.

When do I cull my laying/breeding flock? I raise them for meat so I am processing them from about 15 weeks on, but that is not your question. A hen's peak production is usually after her first adult molt. That usually takes place when she is 1-1/2 years old. After that, her production drops on average about 15% after each following adult molt. That is an average for a large flock. Each hen is an individual and does not necessarily follow the averages. The process I use is to start with group A of hens. That is the first year that I keep any chickens. Say I want as laying flock of 8 hens. I keep 8 hens from this flock over the first winter.

The next spring, I start some replacement pullets, Group B. At the end of the year, I keep 4 of them. When Group A starts the fall molt and really cuts back on laying, I process 4 of the hens from Group A, keeping 4. So until the molt, I have 8 adults plus 4 juveniles laying, but after the molt starts, I am back to 8 total hens.

The next spring, I start Group C. At the end of the year, I keep 4 of them. So I have 12 laying until the older ones go into molt. That's when I remove the 4 that are left from Group A. I am then left with 4 mature hens from Group B and 4 pullets from Group C.

The next spring I start Group D. At the end of the year, I keep 4 of them. I think you can figure out what happens next.

This way, during the good laying season, I have 8 hens that are laying good sized eggs. After that year's Group starts laying, I have the additional group of 4 that are laying the pullet sized eggs. They often lay throughout the winter when the older hens quit laying.

This is my system. Others use different systems. You could keep some of your older chickens an additional year and only replace 1/3 of them annually. Good luck however you wind up.

I REFUSE to hand any live birds over to unknown people. My son,fortunately, does most of the culling(and he doesn't ENJOY it,has a huge heart) but he understands why they can NOT go to a stranger and its kindest if we do it ourselves. I HAVE done some culling but as long as my son is here he gets to do it. We have yet to actually try to eat the older girls(they were 7 yo old so would have been RUBBER) but the newer bunch(not named!) are going at 4 yo or so and WILL be soup. If your husband is a good guy he probably will step up to the plate if you prepare everything. My son does just the hatcheting(from coop to board in 30 seconds) so its VERY quick and I do the skinning or plucking and gutting. and have only been doing this for 3 years or so but I don't buy commercial meat(except from a much loved farm I know) so its a necessity. GOOD LUCK.

Quote:
You are so funny!!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
Many, many folks on here would heartily disagree with this post!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Really...you don't need a man to do it for you. Imagine how empowered and accomplished you will feel if you take matters into your own hands! And your hubby just may feel like he should help...ya never know. Or..he may just start looking at you nervously and begin to listen to your more carefully....
big_smile.png

Its so much easier to use a killing cone and they are easy to make from a bleach jug, no extra purchase required. I can even post pics here of where to slice the throat and such if you need them. I've been killing chickens since I was 11 years old and it really is no big deal. Although never pleasant, it is a chore much like any other...best if done quickly and the hardest part is just getting started.

Here's a few pics to get you started:

A few CX in the homemade killing cones.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6459_meat_chickens_processing_007.jpg

A good place to start is with a very sharp knife, pull slight tension on the neck by gently pushing down on the beak and cradling the head with your hand...cut a smooth line from left to right...and you are done with the actual killing part.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6459_meat_chickens_processing_041.jpg

My antique automatic plucker~the one that got me started processing chickens in the first place:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/6459_meat_chickens_processing_046.jpg

She and I butchered a young cow at our place last winter....if us two ladies can do that, you can cull your flock. Women can do this!!!
thumbsup.gif

I don't know how to quote small so forgive me-I SO wish I had another female like you near! love the antique plucker! I have only recently learned to pluck because I was afraid of how hard everyone made it sound(I am technically poor so can't get a plucker) and was SHOCKED at how easy it is to pluck.

Thanks for all the advice! I am encouraged and know I can do it. Sweetie will help because he always does. But I can see myself doing the deed, especially with a cone made from a bleachbottle.
smile.png

chooniecat
I don't know how to quote small so forgive me-I SO wish I had another female like you near! love the antique plucker! I have only recently learned to pluck because I was afraid of how hard everyone made it sound(I am technically poor so can't get a plucker) and was SHOCKED at how easy it is to pluck.

You don't know how much I wish I had another female living close that was interested in such things also. Having my mother live here has been a blessing, as she and I have done all the gutting, skinning and processing of deer in the family for years. She has a world of knowledge and is a great worker. If not for her, there would be no one.

A local lady stopped by while I was peeling the chicken's feet and was sort of morbidly interested. She even helped me peel a few and told me she had never cut up a whole chicken in her life (she is 52 and lives on a farm) and had always bought chicken from the store and already cut up.

Then she told me she hopes she dies before she ever has to kill her own food!
roll.png
I told her to be careful of what she wishes for!
lol.png

I agree, there are lots of people who will buy even older hens. Personally, I never cull older hens. I could never get rid of the older hens, and I find it to be totally unnecessary. There was an EXCELLENT article about this in a recent issue of BackYard Poultry Magazine, explaining why it's actually better to keep at least some of the older hens, even if they don't lay quite as much. Removing all of the older, experienced hens can have a HUGE impact on the flock, especially if you have chicks or broody hens.

As for roosters, they are the same. Usually, the older ones will be much more experienced, and much smarter and gentler with the hens.

So if you need to cull, then you probably won't have trouble selling them or giving them to a good home, but if you aren't to crazy about culling, then don't!
You certainly shouldn't feel bad about not killing them either! Certain people seem to view that as some sort of weakness, which is just plain ridiculous. I regard it as more of a strength than anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom