Culling what I think are Roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HTChick, Jan 11, 2016.

1. HTChick

HTChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    West Texas
    Having gotten a mixed assortment I knew this day would come. Must cull some roos. No, I can't make more space, I have what I have and no, I don't mind roosters going in the pot but I would prefer it be someone else's pot. But first, want to make sure they are roosters! These are 3 months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know the large brown is a Pioneer roo. I had two Pioneer pullets and they are 2 of the three I lost to vent gleet. Not sure what the breed on the large white but again pretty sure he is a roo. They are both very gentle but almost too gentle, they actually lay down to eat sometimes. The smallish red is a RIR I think but he seems to be at the bottom of pecking order cause he is always missing feathers. I got two turkens and I am going to post them in the Turken thread as well but I think they are both roos though I am not sure. I would keep them if I had a hen and a roo. I don't know what the white with grey speckles is, I like him but have no matching hens and I have to cull someone. The little one is a roo I think by the proliferation of pointed feathers. He is very flighty and also in constant state of no tail. He would likely be beautiful but...

I am keeping a black Australorp (have several hens too), another grey and white that has a matching hen and what I think may be a New Hampshire (looks like the RIR but lighter orangish red). I will see how they get along and develop.

2. HTChick

Oct 15, 2015
    West Texas
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At three months, those are all males. That Pioneer is huge! Someone may well want him for breeding their own meat birds.

The large white one may be a white broiler. It's not quite as large as I'd expect a Cornish cross to be at this age, but if you've restricted feed or free ranged it could be.

I think your black and white is a poorly colored hatchery quality Delaware.

The smaller reddish bird, I'm not sure what he is. He looks to have a rose comb? And I can't see his coloring well. But he's male, regardless of breed.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I agree with donrae, they are all males.

5. HTChick

Oct 15, 2015
    West Texas
    Thank you!

These are hatchery, forgot to mention that, McMurray.

The reddish that I think is RIR has single comb, the smaller more multicolor has a rose or similar comb.

Thanks so much!

Yes, the Pioneer is huge and a lovely gentle boy. He used to sit on my shoulder until he got too big. I was sad to lose both the Pioneer hens.

I would be happy to ship any of these to someone who wants one for simply the price of shipping. I will put it in the appropriate forum before I post locally.

6. HTChick

Oct 15, 2015
    West Texas
    Oh and I cannot free range here (or at least it would be a short experience) and starter crumbles are freely available. Also feed some mixed scratch (with BOSS) and kitchen scraps and a flock block.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on donrae's post.

8. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    Cockerels.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 on donrae's post. In the first photo looks like the turken has 2 heads (they are standing so close to each other)

10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Try posting them on CL or at the feed store...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by