Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

Would you share your recipe for PHO?
I use this recipe with a few additions. Add 1 cinnamon stick. And I roast the cinnamon, star anise and ginger for a short time. You have to watch it because they will burn easily. After the broth is made, I strain it through muslin to get all the impurities out.

Then, the big secret is the spices I add at the end.

1664399260163.png

It's called Old Man Que Huong Brand Spice Seasoning and I get it at Amazon.

When I'm ready to serve it, I bring the broth to a boil and then turn the heat off and allow these herbs to steep in the broth for an hour. They come with a muslin bag for this purpose. Then take them out, bring the broth back to a boil and voila! You have pho broth.

I always make the broth ahead of time because it is time consuming. I also like cooling it over night in case there is any fat that rises to the top that I can scrape off. But the whole broth will be very gelatinous. It will clear up again once it is heated.

I hope you try it and enjoy it. It is the best soup ever.

Oh and if you cannot find star anise, that is also available on Amazon. Also a few of them come in the spice package. You can sort of see them if you enlarge the photo.

BTW, on the Pho recipe, when it comes time to serve, I basically stick with the basil, cilantro, green onion, noodles, bean sprouts and top sirloin. I do not use hoisin or siracha sauce. I will often put it on the table for guests if they want it.

In fact, the bean sprouts and herbs are also served on the side for guests to add however much they want of those ingredients. I also put out lime wedges and sliced jalapenos.

I have to keep editing because I haven't actually shared this recipe before and I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. lolol

I use this recipe with a few additions. Add 1 cinnamon stick. And I roast the cinnamon, star anise and ginger for a short time. You have to watch it because they will burn easily. After the broth is made, I strain it through muslin to get all the impurities out.

Then, the big secret is the spices I add at the end.

View attachment 3274475
It's called Old Man Que Huong Brand Spice Seasoning and I get it at Amazon.

When I'm ready to serve it, I bring the broth to a boil and then turn the heat off and allow these herbs to steep in the broth for an hour. They come with a muslin bag for this purpose. Then take them out, bring the broth back to a boil and voila! You have pho broth.

I always make the broth ahead of time because it is time consuming. I also like cooling it over night in case there is any fat that rises to the top that I can scrape off. But the whole broth will be very gelatinous. It will clear up again once it is heated.

I hope you try it and enjoy it. It is the best soup ever.

Oh and if you cannot find star anise, that is also available on Amazon. Also a few of them come in the spice package. You can sort of see them if you enlarge the photo.

Thank you for the recipe, it looks and sounds wonderful.

BTW, on the Pho recipe, when it comes time to serve, I basically stick with the basil, cilantro, green onion, noodles, bean sprouts and top sirloin. I do not use hoisin or siracha sauce. I will often put it on the table for guests if they want it.

In fact, the bean sprouts and herbs are also served on the side for guests to add however much they want of those ingredients. I also put out lime wedges and sliced jalapenos.

I have to keep editing because I haven't actually shared this recipe before and I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. lolol

I must say Thank You for your trouble.

I can't wait to try this.

Geez....I keep going on and on, but for those who haven't had Pho, it feels important to add one more thing.

The beef is actually cooked in the hot broth at the time of serving. You just put the raw slices in the bowl before ladling the broth over it. So cut it really thin. To do this, I put the steaks in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Makes a big difference in the slicing.

Back
Top Bottom