Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

Nice to see you here, @fangedknight. My week has been great! (except for the hidden chick scare :oops: ) How has your week been?
I'm glad to see the chicks are alright, my week has been absolutely insane. Murphy and his law have descended upon my family and he needs to take a very long vacation.

As for my chicks, I'm getting geared up for my second hatch of the season, my first batch of babies are up for sale but I haven't had anyone contact me about buying any (hopefully that'll be soon).

In better news, today was a long day but it was okay because I wound up finally getting a corner cabinet that I'd been wanting to pick up for a few weeks now (Scheduling just wasn't working out). So that's now in the corner of my living room with my plants arranged on it and it looks so nice.

Well, don't send Murphy over here...haven't seen that guy for a while. It's been downright peaceful without him. :lol:

Hope your chicks sell soon. Do you pick out the ones you want to keep and sell the rest, or just raise them to sell them? I've never sold a chick before. When I raise them, it's for keeps. All hens stay here even into their senior years. It's a happy chicken land that way.

Also, I found incubating chicks to be stressful for me. I actually do buy mine. Too bad I couldn't have bought yours!!!

Great news about the cabinet! I love getting just the right piece of furniture for the house.

Well, don't send Murphy over here...haven't seen that guy for a while. It's been downright peaceful without him. :lol:

Hope your chicks sell soon. Do you pick out the ones you want to keep and sell the rest, or just raise them to sell them? I've never sold a chick before. When I raise them, it's for keeps. All hens stay here even into their senior years. It's a happy chicken land that way.

Also, I found incubating chicks to be stressful for me. I actually do buy mine. Too bad I couldn't have bought yours!!!

Great news about the cabinet! I love getting just the right piece of furniture for the house.
Thanks! Yeah, it looks just right in the corner. Definitely worth the driving to go get it.

Incubating for me isn't too terrible, it's hatching that gets stressful and then I lose sleep constantly checking on the humidity and making sure they're alright. But it's worth it to see them being tiny menaces in the brooder!

And how I do it is I just hatch them out and post the whole bunch for sale and whatever sells sells. Since they're a dual-purpose breed (even being a Sex Link cross) any males that don't sell are going to be raised up as meat birds. And any girls that don't sell as chicks I'll try to sell as started birds, and whoever doesn't go that way will just get put into the main egg-laying pen to replace the older girls we've lost.

Good morning everyone! Thanks for the coffee George!

Sounds like a great system for you @fangedknight. It's the humidity and all that that stresses me out, so I just don't do it. If I wanted to perpetuate a particular breed I might, but I don't segregate mine by breeds at the moment.

What I love is when one of my hens hatches her own and raises them. That's the perfect solution to me. But a couple hens tried that a few times last year and were unsuccessful. I don't think one rooster can take care of 13 hens perhaps, so their eggs aren't fertilized. IDK. DH said he saw fertilized eggs in the batches that were abandoned.

Ah well, so I bought 3 Buff Orpington chicks this year and I'm raising them in the coop. They have their own area and are thriving there. It's definitely an easier way to raise chicks. They spend no time in the house or the garage at all. They go straight to the coop with a sweeter heater. I learned that by watching my hens raise their own. I've seen a mama hen take her chick out in the snow at 2 days old!!

Back
Top Bottom