Cure for a lonely Pekin duckling?

Madaline706

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
I was the mother of 2 sweet little Pekin ducks but recently one of them has passed away. They were always together, but now my one duck is by him/herself. It constantly cries when I leave his/her sight and I'm afraid that he/she is very lonely. It is Easter weekend so I will be home all day, but then I will be gone during the day and he/she will not see me. Is there anything I can do to make my duck less lonely? I have given him/her a stuffed animal and a cloth to cuddle with, but it doesn't seem to do much. He/she is 3 weeks old. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I think the only good solution is to find another duckling
1f642.png
Sorry you lost the other
1f614.png
. They really need to be in pairs or more, and dont do as well alone at all.

I think the only good solution is to find another duckling
1f642.png
Sorry you lost the other
1f614.png
. They really need to be in pairs or more, and dont do as well alone at all.
In the mean time a mirror with out sharp edges can help so it can see itself. It's not a substitute for the real thing but can help till you get another duckling or 2.

Very sorry for your loss @Madaline706

Thank you. Is there a way to cure its loneliness without getting another duckling? My duckling is about 3-4 weeks old and is significantly large. If I was to get another duckling, it might be too small and I'm afraid the other one will hurt the little one. Not to mention they would have to be separated for heating light purposes.

Thank you. Is there a way to cure its loneliness without getting another duckling? My duckling is about 3-4 weeks old and is significantly large. If I was to get another duckling, it might be too small and I'm afraid the other one will hurt the little one. Not to mention they would have to be separated for heating light purposes.
They would eventually become best buds though..

There are members who keep house ducks But if your not planning on keeping your duckling inside with the family then it would be very sad to put it outside with out friends to keep it company.@Madaline706

Last edited:
They would eventually become best buds though..

There are members who keep house ducks But if your not planning on keeping your duckling  inside with the family then it would be very sad to put it outside with out friends to keep it company.@Madaline706

I would love to keep the ducks inside with me, but especially before getting duck diapers, they would have to stay outside for parts of the day. I think it would be great to get another ducking to keep the other company and to fill that hole in my heart from my little one, I'm just worried about the age gap. I know majority of places that sell ducklings only sell them when they're just a few days old or about a week. My problem would be finding a place that would sell me ducklings around the age of 3 weeks. I'm not sure about local farms but if you know of anywhere that would sell a duckling of around that age, please let me know.

Check around - many people get ducklings because they are just oh so cute and then after a few weeks, are looking for a new home for them.
Check Craigslist for your area, look at facebook groups for farm and garden/chicken swaps/etc to see if anybody has an older duckling or two they are looking to find homes for.
Maybe there is a hobby breeder near you that has some older ones as well.

For now though, try putting a stuffed animal in with it or even a mirror until you can find another. My little one with the bad leg was by himself for a while And I did that until so got him his buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I found 2 babies on Craigslist that I hope to be purchasing soon to accompany my other baby. I have a stuffed animal for him, I've tried the mirror and cloth but he still cries every time me or someone in my family leave his sight. Until I get the other ducklings, is there a way he could be more entertained and less lonely? I'm hoping to get the ducks tomorrow but that might not happen and I will be going back to work all day. No one will be home to keep him company for a while and I don't know how he's gonna cope.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I found 2 babies on Craigslist that I hope to be purchasing soon to accompany my other baby. I have a stuffed animal for him, I've tried the mirror and cloth but he still cries every time me or someone in my family leave his sight. Until I get the other ducklings, is there a way he could be more entertained and less lonely? I'm hoping to get the ducks tomorrow but that might not happen and I will be going back to work all day. No one will be home to keep him company for a while and I don't know how he's gonna cope.

Aww poor thing. I really hope it works out to get the other ducklings tomorow.
I cant imagine much else will help if the mirror didnt.
They just dont do well alone unless you can give them all your attention.
Maybe trying some music or tv so there is some noise will help?
I just hope you can make it work and get the others tomorow
1f642.png
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Back
Top Bottom