Cure for a lonely Pekin duckling?

Thanks so much for the advice everyone. I found 2 babies on Craigslist that I hope to be purchasing soon to accompany my other baby. I have a stuffed animal for him, I've tried the mirror and cloth but he still cries every time me or someone in my family leave his sight. Until I get the other ducklings, is there a way he could be more entertained and less lonely? I'm hoping to get the ducks tomorrow but that might not happen and I will be going back to work all day. No one will be home to keep him company for a while and I don't know how he's gonna cope.
Keep the mirror in with him if no one else is around it may bring comfort.

I have the other ducklings now. The problem is, they're 1 week old. I didn't realize how much smaller 1 week ducklings are than my 4 week old duckling. I have them separated for now for the heating light and because they're just too small. Will I be able to leave them together soon? Or will the little ones not be able to catch up to the bigger one anytime soon?

I have 2 different age ducklings (one I just got Saturday, very small, and the other I have had for a few weeks) they do very well together. In fact my older seems to be taking on a mother role... they snuggle together constantly.

Where is your single one now?
Any way to keep them in the same brooder, but put up something to separate the brooder into 2 so they can each other, but can't get to eachother until they've had time to get to know each other?
Then try to put them together and keep a close eye on them and if it works, remove the divider. If not, keep the divider up and keep trying

Yeah it will definatley take time. Go slow and give them short supervised time together. 4 week old ducklings can really injure a week old duckling easily.
Hopefully with lots of time spent maybe in a couple weeks they will be used to each other.

Here is a pic of my 2, I introduced them slow in the yard. They hit it off pretty quick, so after a couple supervised "playtimes" I was able to put them together throughout the day.

Where is your single one now?
Any way to keep them in the same brooder, but put up something to separate the brooder into 2 so they can each other, but can't get to eachother until they've had time to get to know each other?
Then try to put them together and keep a close eye on them and if it works, remove the divider. If not, keep the divider up and keep trying

Right now I have all 3 ducklings staying inside my house in separate containers. This weekend I was planning on moving all of them outside to a small playhouse we used to have when we were younger that has electricity for a heating lamp. I was planning on leaving the little ducklings in a clear container with the bigger one free to roam around it and look in it. I've already introduced the 3 of them carefully and like Grace's ducks, the bigger one seems to be protective like a mother. He usually is a little rambunctious but he is very gentle with the little ones. One thing he does is nibble them in the face and I don't want him to accidentally hurt them. I can't have them together because the light would make the bigger one too hot and the little ones are at risk of being stepped on by accident. So for right now they are separate but I'm hoping when they're older and don't really need the heat lamp that they will be about the same size and will get along very well.

Right now I have all 3 ducklings staying inside my house in separate containers. This weekend I was planning on moving all of them outside to a small playhouse we used to have when we were younger that has electricity for a heating lamp. I was planning on leaving the little ducklings in a clear container with the bigger one free to roam around it and look in it. I've already introduced the 3 of them carefully and like Grace's ducks, the bigger one seems to be protective like a mother. He usually is a little rambunctious but he is very gentle with the little ones. One thing he does is nibble them in the face and I don't want him to accidentally hurt them. I can't have them together because the light would make the bigger one too hot and the little ones are at risk of being stepped on by accident. So for right now they are separate but I'm hoping when they're older and don't really need the heat lamp that they will be about the same size and will get along very well.

Sounds like your doing a good job and have a good plan in place.
Thats great the bigger one is gentle. They may be together sooner than you think! :)
Once in a larger area you can put up a heat lamp so the littles can use it if needed and the bigger can still be with them but get away from the heat

Your duckies are too cute Grace! I see what you mean by motherly figure because my older duck seems to be very protective of the little ones. They've only known each other for about a day and they're already snuggling.

Back
Top Bottom