Curing scaly leg mites

Could SLM affect egg production? They could but there's many things that can affect production. Are they having difficulties? Could they be starting to molt? How old are the birds?
They are a little slow on production, but I believe it's from the heavy molt that most of them are in, and lower daylight hours obviously.
My birds range from 3 months to around 5-6 years.
I know age also plays a big role in production.
I'm not worried about the production, I was just curious if SLM could affect it.

If you have photos of the legs and the hens that would be great.
I will not be able to get any tomorrow, but I will try early next week.

Thanks for your reply. ❤️:)

How often are you treating the leg mites and with what exactly? It is going to take more time, but I would smother the scales with vaseline 1-2 times a week. It can take months for the new scales to grow in. You also might want to treat the coop with permethrin spray after removing all of the bedding, and put fresh bedding in the coop.
That's what I've been doing, once or twice a week with each chicken.

I didn't get the permethrin spray yet, but hopefully I get it before I clean the coop for winter.

So I would just spray the permethrin onto the roosts, floor, and walls of the coop once the shavings are out?
Yes, remove all shavings. Clean/scrape all surfaces of poop. Spray surfaces according to label directions then add fresh shavings, and continue treating the legs until new, healthy scales grow in.

Back
Top Bottom