Curiosity..

CSolis

Crossing the Road
May 17, 2020
Red Level, AL
I have 11 chicks in the brooder that are coming 5 weeks on Tuesday. I had put my first group of chicks out in their coop/run area at 6 weeks because they were HUGE and fully feathered. I have new areas set up for this batch, but they don't seem nearly as large as the first group. Of course different breeds this time around. Should I wait until they are bigger/more fully feathered than the first batch was at 6 weeks to send them outside? And of the 11 I have one tiny chick, who is lagging behind the rest in size and feathering. I've thought to keep him/her indoors until he/she's bigger and fully feathered. (could be a bantum or not). I need the brooder for the eggs that are in the incubator now. They should start hatching just after the others are sent outside. Will the small one I keep inside bother the new born chicks, or be an aid in teaching them to eat/drink?

It depends on a number of different factors, like how feathered are they? What’s the temperature in your area?
Most are almost fully feathered, and we are still in the 90 degree mark during the day 70 degrees at night. I'm just concerned about their size. Of course the first group were BRs and BSL (now gigantic at 6 months old). This group has BO's, Marans, one Bielefelder and EE's.

Back
Top Bottom