Curious About Fisher Cats

I am normally a live a let be kind of country boy, but fishers near my back porch hissing at me would have been re-greeted with a 12ga. Same with a bear, walk through the yard, you're fine. Threaten me and is an SSS moment. I'm just going to hate digging that hole.

Don't escalate the tensions with someone that wasn't fighting and has more firepower.

Similar to that, out this way we have New Germany state park. Camped there as a kid and dad burnt the popcorn and tossed it in the woods. Dad was a city boy and didn't know about throwing food in the county woods is a negative. Half hour later crunch, crunch and dad spotlights 4 skunks on the edge of the campsite. He says don't move. They eat the all the popcorn and start walking under our chairs and literally looking at us for more food. Damn, skunks trained by campers to beg for food. They we good with everything until you followed them too close and they would just look at you and give you that visual like "You remember I'm a skunk, right?"

Last edited:
I am normally a live a let be kind of country boy, but fishers near my back porch hissing at me would have been re-greeted with a 12ga. Same with a bear, walk through the yard, you're fine. Threaten me and is an SSS moment. I'm just going to hate digging that hole.

Don't escalate the tensions with someone that wasn't fighting and has more firepower.

Similar to that, out this way we have New Germany state park. Camped there as a kid and dad burnt the popcorn and tossed it in the woods. Dad was a city boy and didn't know about throwing food in the county woods is a negative. Half hour later crunch, crunch and dad spotlights 4 skunks on the edge of the campsite. He says don't move. They eat the all the popcorn and start walking under our chairs and literally looking at us for more food. Damn, skunks trained by campers to beg for food. They we good with everything until you followed them too close and they would just look at you and give you that visual like "You remember I'm a skunk, right?"

Rob, I am not certain how to take your post as you seem to be contradicting yourself.

I live in the country, I "invited" the fishers to my yard by leaving food out, my bad. Then I made it worse by intruding close to their space when they were eating. They responded as I expect most animals would - assess the threat and then push back so they could continue. Again my bad.

Retreat is always my answer when it involves wild animals in THEIR space; defend if forced yes. I suspect you might agree?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Rob, I am not certain how to take your post as you seem to be contradicting yourself.

I live in the country, I "invited" the fishers to my yard by leaving food out, my bad. Then I made it worse by intruding close to their space when they were eating. They responded as I expect most animals would - assess the threat and then push back so they could continue. Again my bad.

Retreat is always my answer when it involves wild animals in THEIR space; defend if forced yes. I suspect you might agree?

Cheers.
i guess it depends where you live,

out west here (SK) most farmers/ranchers would shoot a predator before retreating, most cattle guys have a gun near when on the ranch, plus any coyote seen is shot dead (but we have no season on them) on sight. they deal so much damage to calving operations.

^ditto.

It's the same around here (middle PA). "Live and let live" means I don't actively hunt anything down. Anything more than twenty pounds hissing at me? Had better be one of my geese.

If they're near my porch, that's definitely "my territory" whether they have food on it or not.

Back
Top Bottom