Curious about this chicken...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by arrowti, Jul 9, 2016.

1. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    I meant to ask a few years ago but I always forgot... we received 36 hatching eggs from a hatchery 2 years ago, with maran eggs and a collection of "random extras" to make up for any eggs that didn't hatch. Well, in the end, only 14 eggs hatched, 2 died, and we ended up with 6 roosters and 6 hens. We had 3 maran roosters, and 2 maran hens. One of the maran hens died.

We also ended up with three hens - two are like the one in this picture, and 1 was a grey one exactly like them who died.

I'm not exactly sure what they are. Although they do look a bit like some easter egger pictures, I'm not completely sure. They both land off-white (tannish) eggs, medium sized, average quantity. They are fairly calm, never broody, and love the cold but hate the heat.

Could be a crossbreed, considering the 'outcome' of the hatched chickens (the other hatchlings included english game batam rooster and pullet, a coloured dorking mix rooster, an unknown mix rooster..)

http://screenshot.sh/mGCh8wf5zCUX1

It was taken by my phone since my camera went AWOL, and I had to email it to myself in order to get the image to my laptop so I took a screenshot to avoid having to download/upload... yeah.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    I believe it is a Black Australorp.

3. arrowti

arrowti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2014
    Maine
    Is it common for black australorps to have tufted faces? I've never seen one personally but I don't have much knowledge about the breed in general.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful bird

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What hatchery?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by