Curious if anyone has had a combo before (or similar)?

CoopedUpFamily

Chirping
Mar 20, 2020
Rhode Island
After hatching a run split between silkies and ayem cemani from a local breeder, we collected some eggs to incubate from our collection. We have Easter eggers, RIR, Buff O, and Barred Rock hens. We also have silkies and show girls including the pair I will post. Anyone have experience breeding silkie and barnyard mix? And what happens when a silkie and a show girl mix? Here is Red the Rooster and Moana the Showgirl.
29A506F8-C64F-41CD-A70A-34ED6829A618.jpeg

EC62A62B-BECB-4B81-8D80-BF5FCAFCAEC1.jpeg

We have Easter eggers, RIR, Buff O, and Barred Rock hens. We also have silkies and show girls including the pair I will post. Anyone have experience breeding silkie and barnyard mix? And what happens when a silkie and a show girl mix? Here is Red the Rooster and Moana the Showgirl.
If you're saying that rooster is a Silkie-- no, because he doesn't have the silkied feathers. (I'm not sure whether you were saying that rooster is a Silkie, or that you have a different rooster who is a Silkie.)

If you cross two chickens with silkie feathers, all the chicks will also have silkie feathers. If you cross one chicken with silkie feathers and one chicken with normal feathers, the chicks usually have normal feathers. (Exceptions can happen if the chicken with "normal" feathers has some ancestors with silkie-type feathers.)

If you cross a chicken with a naked neck (Showgirl) with a normal-neck chicken, you will get some chicks with naked necks. You might get some chicks with normal necks, but you might not.

If both parents have crests, the chicks usually do too. Same with feathered feet, and with extra toes. If one parent has a beard (like Red the rooster), then some or all of his chicks will also have beards.

If both parents have dark skin, the chicks probably will too.

When you cross to other breeds, the chicks will often show crests, beards, feathered feet, extra toes, naked necks, strange comb types--pretty much any extra features of either parent can show up in their chicks. Not certain to show up, but might. Silkied feathers behave differently, but I already mentioned them.

If you're saying that rooster is a Silkie-- no, because he doesn't have the silkied feathers. (I'm not sure whether you were saying that rooster is a Silkie, or that you have a different rooster who is a Silkie.)

If you cross two chickens with silkie feathers, all the chicks will also have silkie feathers. If you cross one chicken with silkie feathers and one chicken with normal feathers, the chicks usually have normal feathers. (Exceptions can happen if the chicken with "normal" feathers has some ancestors with silkie-type feathers.)

If you cross a chicken with a naked neck (Showgirl) with a normal-neck chicken, you will get some chicks with naked necks. You might get some chicks with normal necks, but you might not.

If both parents have crests, the chicks usually do too. Same with feathered feet, and with extra toes. If one parent has a beard (like Red the rooster), then some or all of his chicks will also have beards.

If both parents have dark skin, the chicks probably will too.

When you cross to other breeds, the chicks will often show crests, beards, feathered feet, extra toes, naked necks, strange comb types--pretty much any extra features of either parent can show up in their chicks. Not certain to show up, but might. Silkied feathers behave differently, but I already mentioned them.
TBH we are new to the incubating and hatching part of the cycle. We got our first barn yard breeds from our local feed store and then the wife added silkies to the mix. Red, we got from person that had Silkie and Polish mixes so we assume thats what he is.

Red, we got from person that had Silkie and Polish mixes so we assume thats what he is.
That does seem likely. He's really pretty!

If one of his parents was a Silkie, then crossing him with Showgirls or Silkies could produce some chicks with silkie-type feathering. (There's just one gene that controls that feather type, and because it's recessive, a chicken needs to get a copy of it from each parent to have the silkied feathers.)

That does seem likely. He's really pretty!

If one of his parents was a Silkie, then crossing him with Showgirls or Silkies could produce some chicks with silkie-type feathering. (There's just one gene that controls that feather type, and because it's recessive, a chicken needs to get a copy of it from each parent to have the silkied feathers.)
Is there a list somewhere of recessive traits vs dominant?

Back
Top Bottom