1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

curious if I should do something

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmclaughlin, Sep 10, 2013.

1. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have 6 23 week old chickens with a definite pecking order....and they all got along.... but I am now noticing my top chick(Peggy) pick on the lowest girl(Jen)..reminds me of (rudolph not playing in any reindeer games LOL) no blood but sad to watch... Peggy can has anyone eating off the same corn cob but the minute Jen comes over she pecks her runs her off!! anything I should do??? thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    add more corn cobs in various parts of the run

3. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks.I do that regularly with all food and water so everyone gets their fair share.but sometimes they can be so mean[​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's flock dynamics. It's worse the less space they have. Free range chickens don't do that very much.
    They're too busy to be mean.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  5. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe add some things to perch on or climb under, that way she can 'get away' I had a pullet that took our roosters fancy, she did not get much of a break until she learned she could perch and be out of the way when it suited her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by