Curious newbie on Long Island

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by warmheart, Oct 4, 2012.

1. warmheart

warmheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Hello there![​IMG] Thank you for such a chatty, lovely, chicken-y forum! I'm pleased to meet you all. I'm wishing to learn as much as I can about keeping just a few (bantams, perhaps) in our relatively good-sized suburban backyard. My main interests are to have friendly, docile, quiet chickens to lovingly nurture. Their wellbeing, and being kind to their spirits, is important to me. Eggs would be nice, too! [​IMG](even if small) I'm hoping for peace and harmony in the backyard realm.[​IMG]

Me: I am blind but with a bit of residual eyesight, am a Reiki master, teach T'ai Chi when I can, love my German Shepherd "Grimm," and my rescued indoor FIV+ cat "Smokey." Love organic gardening, hiking, eating natural foods, Zen meditation, reading, walking, swimming in the bay, herbal healing, growing flowers, and playing ball with Grimm in the backyard.

While my boyfriend has raised chickens before, I have a lot to learn! Researching is my first step. Thank you again for having such a great forum![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, warmheart, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Your story is quite an inspiration and I admire your spirit. I think getting some bantams would be a great idea - chickens are just good for the soul! I wish you the best of luck!!

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

:welcome

Many standard sized chickens come in bantam form as well, so there are so many to choose from. Silkies are a great bantam to keep in my opinion. They are soft, sweet and easy to handle.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello from the rolling hills of Kentucky. Welcome to BYC!

[​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] You truly are a inspiration! I hope you can find the right breed for you.

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. running bird 19

running bird 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Susquehanna County PA
    Welcome! This BYC forum is the best! I have learned a lot from it, even though I have kept chickens for 40+ years...there is always something new to learn!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by