Curious question about muscovy duckling

Pics

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
5 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
My muscovy duck has three babies, and by now they're 2 weeks old, probably closer to 3. One of them is twice the size of the other two, I mean, it's very visible difference. I know at this age, you can't say for certain what gender your duck is until they get older and start developing traits that we know as drake or hen. I get that sometimes, you think one is male or female, but then they surprise you. But with this little guy SO big, I wasn't sure if it was possible to be sure if it will definitely be a drake, or if there's still a high chance it's just a fast-growing hen.

What are people's thoughts and experiences? I'm still fairly new to ducks, this starting my third year with them, and I'm very curious about this topic seeing I'm experiencing it. Thanks to anyone who replies!

Sorry if it's hard to tell from my pictures.

20200121_121912.jpg

20200121_121454.jpg

Attachments

• 20200121_121657.jpg
    20200121_121657.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200121_121915.jpg
    20200121_121915.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 8
If the other two are healthy and they are all the same age, it’s a good chance that is a drake although I’ve never had a duckling stick out at that age as a drake. They are sure pretty little things:love
I've never heard of it either, but they're all very healthy and the dark one and this one were roughly the exact same size when they hatched. My little white one is the runt of the clutch, but with the above statement and the fact it's so big (it even looks abnormal, even when not compared to another duckling lol) I thought it could very likely be a drake.

Who knows--I may be surprised! :lol: And thank you!

My muscovy duck has three babies, and by now they're 2 weeks old, probably closer to 3. One of them is twice the size of the other two, I mean, it's very visible difference. I know at this age, you can't say for certain what gender your duck is until they get older and start developing traits that we know as drake or hen. I get that sometimes, you think one is male or female, but then they surprise you. But with this little guy SO big, I wasn't sure if it was possible to be sure if it will definitely be a drake, or if there's still a high chance it's just a fast-growing hen.

What are people's thoughts and experiences? I'm still fairly new to ducks, this starting my third year with them, and I'm very curious about this topic seeing I'm experiencing it. Thanks to anyone who replies!

Sorry if it's hard to tell from my pictures.

View attachment 2007962
View attachment 2007961

Do you have any other ducks, like a Jumbo Pekin or something that might produce unusually large offspring?

Do you have any other ducks, like a Jumbo Pekin or something that might produce unusually large offspring?
No, I don't. I only have muscovies currently because while ducks are allowed where I live, its still in a neighborhood and we wanted to go with a quiet breed that wouldn't bother the neighbors. I don't have any particularly big 'scovies, either.

Back
Top Bottom