Dr.GarryTTucker

Songster
5 Years
May 1, 2018
Southeast Texas
so I’ve noticed that my chickens have stopped eating in the evenings. I’m wondering if the high humidity and high heat is causing them not to be hungry? Or if there’s another underlying factor.? They are under a giant magnolia tree that has a big canopy. They forage some but mostly dust bath and lay around. Don’t give me wrong, I’m not complaining that they’re not eating. I’m just curious if the heat is the major factor.

I also noticed they don’t have full crops most of the days either. Should they?

Feed consumption will decrease as temperatures rise as the act of digestion will cause a rise in body temperatures. Keeping birds on a higher protein ration can help them get what they need while consuming less.

Laying hens should always have access to oyster shells as the act of panting can alter the blood ph of a chicken which can interfere with a hen ability to maintain calcium levels leading to brittle shells in warmer weather.

Sometimes with high heat and humidity, food can spoil/ become rancid. Do a sniff test and make sure it doesn’t smell “off”. But I know when it’s icky hot all I want to do is lay around and not eat much either. Maybe try soaking the food (but again, watch for spoilage) or put ice cubes in their water. Some breeds just don’t tolerate heat well. What breeds do you have?

Feed intake also can decrease as a function of need. As temperatures rise, need for energy to produce heat declines. When temperatures get to be high enough to be a stressor, then two conflicting processes start to kick. First birds do generate heat as they process food which can aggravate need to dump heat. Secondly, the process of dumping heat through panting is energy demanding itself. Trade offs can involve eating less resulting in weight loss or reduced gain, or reduced egg production. My birds also respond by adjusting periods of activity. They eat only early in the morning and just before going to roost. My free-range juvenile games even forage after sun is down on moonlit evenings. Chicks are not able to forgo feeding as much, but are also more able to dump heat owing to higher surface to volume ratio,

My hens consume about half in summer than winter before I started to let them free range an hour or two late afternoon early evening.
Now allowing them to free range an hour before sunset daily weather permitting. They only eat about a third of what they do in winter.
I keep my feed in original bag tightly closed with a bag clip in my house, till I need to refill feeder, to help keep it fresh.
I am only filling the 12# feeder half way now, 20180528_115151.jpg and bringing the feed bag back into my house. I only have 3 hens. Lost two earlier this year.
Clean your feeder monthly in humid or damp conditions. I cleaned my girls feeder today. GC

Back
Top Bottom