Curious what happened with this one chick?

msheets

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Hurricane, WV
I ditched my LG & upgraded to a Reptipro 5000, just to put it out there, I LOVE this thing! The temp does vary a few degrees from top to bottom but if that's it's only problem, I'm tickled pink, I just alternate eggs from top to bottom so they hatch at the same time.

Wow sorry for getting off subject! Anyway, the humidity stsyed perfect
& the temp a very steady 101 so all of my chicks hatched just fine but one. It was really weird & something I thought was odd since all the rest hatched perfectly. When it pipped, a ton of runny yolk came running out of the egg, making a small puddle underneath. The chick of course died (suffocated/drowned?) soon after. I didn't see what happened until I turned the egg around or I would've at least tried to help, although I don't think it had a chance...I opened the egg up & the chick was completely formed with only about a Lima bean sized normal yolk sack left, but the egg was completely full of that runny yolk? If I took away the runny stuff, the chick would've been normal. What could've caused this when none of the others had problems? Humidity was dry first 18 then 65 on lockdown, egg was in the middle of the rest so not near a fan or anything & it was a normal sized bantam egg...

Bumping this up trying to get some input (=

Hopefully no one is sure what happened because they've never had it happen to them, the poor little chick didn't have a chance )=

I've had something similar happen, chick pipped on the underside of the egg and it appeared the yolk had leaked out. (In my LG) I assumed the chick was positioned wrong and had possibly pipped through some part of the yolk. Hopefully someone else can answer the question!!!

I doing about that, the chick might've popped it's own yolk sack? When I dissected it the sack looked in tact though...Thanks for the replies & what a sad pic )=

In my experience .. when I have had a chick like that it's because they ruptured the yolk sack

not the bator's fault.. or anything you did wrong as far as temp or humidity.. it's like when one hatches all bloody because they ruptured a vein.. it just happens sometimes

I really dont think it was the yolk sack it broke. I believe it was the amniotic fluid he couldnt finnish swallowing and or watery albumen and he drowned. Was this a large egg? I tend to have problems and haveing to assist some chicks on the 20th day because of too much fluid in large eggs. I dry incubate for the first 18 days. So its not a humidity issue. I think some large eggs just contain too much fluid for the babies to swallow and absorb before the veins start deteriorateing. Perhaps he was just a weak and or a genetically inferior chick and couldnt go through the entire complicated and exausting process of hatching and the right way.

I use a Gen 1588 and sometimes chicks hatch early or later. My guess is that all eggs or areas of the incu don't hold the same temp. Strangely enough I had one hatch where one egg of each of the three breeds in the incu didn't hatch. I can't say why what happened to you happened but it may be the area of the incubator that particular egg was in.

I wish you well,

Rancher

Quote:
with mine upon examining the chicks I could find where the yolk sack had been pierced.. only a tiny puncture on some.. others had large tears.. but it was enough to cause them to drown in the yolk
For me, even though I have hatched thousands of chicks it has only happened rarely.. if someone has a problem with it happening a lot then I would think it was something else causing the problem

Back
Top Bottom