Curious when you cull?

You have received a lot of good responses. You can start to see how many different reasons we have to keep chickens.

It obviously can vary greatly by individual hen, but I've read that the egg production declines by about 15% for every molt after 2 years of age. For people where eggs are a bonus and not a reason, that is probably not that big a deal. For someone looking for egg productivity and efficiency, it is.

Yes, they definitely get tough when they get older. In my opinion, dumplings make great comfort food.

Another point to ponder. I was speaking with a veterinarian associated with the University of Arkansas who breeds chickens as a hobby about managing my small flock with respect to diseases. I mentioned that I was planning on not letting any of my flock exceed three years of age. He said that would decrease the chance of them catching certain diseases. I don't remember which specific diseases he mentioned
old.gif
as some things seem to be slipping these days.

I culled the roosters. Only because they were really nasty and went after little kids that came to the house and would draw blood if I went into the yard with shorts on. I don't think it was only a fashion statement
hmm.png
I have two of my original flock left and they are 6 years old. They survived a rough winter two years ago so Gert and Sweetpea earned their old age home rights. They hang out near the coop more than the younger birds but are definately the grand dames of the perches inside the coop. I think I get an egg from them every once in a while.

I'm sooo glad everyone is able to share with me and give me a better understanding of why and how people manage their flocks....Thank you...I find it so interesting and helps me understand more about raising chickens.
smile.png

I plan on letting mine hens live out their days as old ladies, retired from many years of egg laying...I have 16 so far, so even when their numbers go down to 1 egg a week, or even a month, I'll have plenty of eggs
smile.png

Quote:
Well...yes...and really, I don't have any way to KNOW who is laying two eggs a week or what.

I wish I could figure out a way to trapnest them so I COULD know that. Not for culling purposes, but for breeding purposes.

If I had a hen who was laying an egg a day I would be sure to HATCH some of those eggs. I can--sort of--as some of the eggs have distinct characteristics and so I know if it is coming along every day, but not all can be told apart.

Catherine

I have 4 year-old hens. One is a pet and will get to stay. If the others drop way off, they will probably go in the soup pot, especially the leghorns. The rest are 16 weeks and my only pet among them is a RIR roo. He's also a runt so I don't even want to breed him. But we processed some extra roos today and her's still with us. Don't know what I'll do about that, maybe hope he turns mean as an adult.

The birds are definitely for eggs and meat, but....

It depends. I have pet birds and production birds. The production ones go every few years, the pets are here to live out their lives.

As for old hens, they are pretty much good for a very rich soup stock and that's about it.

To me, their lives are for a purpose and the important part isn't how long they get to live, but the quality of life that they led.

Back
Top Bottom