Curiousity ? - Sil-go-Links

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
When I was young, we had Sil-Go-Links as chickens. I don't ever see them anymore, although I do know that some hatcheries sell them. Are they a dying breed?

Like I said in my title.. I am just curious.

I forget which hatchery had them, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was just the name they were using at the time for the varieties of Red Sex Links. Cinnamon Queen, Red Star, Golden Comets, etc.
Maybe some color variations, but basiclly the same cross.

Jean

they are red sex links... same as red star, cinnamin queen, golden comet....every hatchery calls them something different...central hatchery calls them sil go links...go to centralhatchery.com....they have cheap prices too...

I did some research on this some time ago. I think there are a number of combinations that could create a Sil Go link. There is some information that indicates a RIR (the constant) over a Silver laced wyandotte was one of the original SIl go Links.

Disclaimer- not an expert but gathered research that supported this. If you simply google Sil go link this RIR and SLW combo does surface quite a bit.

Good luck.

I have some very awesome RIR and Some very well bred SLW. Next spring I hope to cross these for the Sex link to sell pullets to the locals.

Try a simple Sil-Go-link google and you will get some nice information

Edited to include this statment from a well known breeder with whom I was having a discussion regarding the RIR and SLW cross. This cross was my interest as I have both of these breeds.

Several years ago, the RIR and SL wyandotte cross was known as Sil-go-Links. It was a sex linked cross.

I haven't seen these birds advertised for for several years, so I have no way to reference them. Without checking the web, I don't know if any one still sells them or if you can find anything on them now.

Last edited:
When I was young, we had Sil-Go-Links as chickens. I don't ever see them anymore, although I do know that some hatcheries sell them. Are they a dying breed?

Like I said in my title.. I am just curious.
Hey! I had Sligo link hens. I was looking for them and your request is what I so far found. I bought them in line. I lived in HI. They were fine with brown eggs. The were being sold for being economical. Not what to sure what to buy these days.

Back
Top Bottom