Curled Feet

Kitsune_Kitten

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2021
Dunedin, New Zealand
The oldest chicken that we have, who also happens to be one of my favourites has had a problem with her feet for a while, she is the oldest of the chickens that we have hatched and is 4 months old. She's a Welsummer named Tender, and she has always been friendly with me and the other chickens. I noticed recently that she was walking with a limp and wasn't going up the ramp into the coop most nights and she never perches on the perches that we set up. I took a closer look and her feet are curled up in a slightly disturbing fashion. Any idea what we can do to help her?

Attachments

• 20210123_134224.jpg
    20210123_134224.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 20
If she were younger (like 1 day to a week old), it might be able to be fixed, but I think she's too far gone. She probably will be alright, but I could be wrong. Hopefully I'm not...

Her toes have likely been curled since she hatched, but they can get worse over rime. I am certain there is nothing you can do for the curled toes. I had a hen who had toes similar to that and she lived for a long time and roosted every night on 2x3 flat roosts.,

Her toes have likely been curled since she hatched, but they can get worse over rime. I am certain there is nothing you can do for the curled toes. I had a hen who had toes similar to that and she lived for a long time and roosted every night on 2x3 flat roosts.,
Ah thank you, I was worried that she wouldn't be able to roost at all, I'll check out the flat roosts now

If you hatch again, it’s really important to check everyone’s feet... sometimes chicks can be born with crooked toes which can easily be fixed at a day or two old, but after a few weeks their bones harden and it can’t be fixed. Sometimes it’s a cause of incubator conditions, sometimes it’s genetic or low quality breeding stock, sometimes it’s just random. If she’s lived this long she should be fine, she’ll just have odd looking feet.

If you discover the curled toes within the first week of life, it can sometimes be fixed with taping the toes flat on a little shoe. But when the bones harden, taping them would be very painful and not work. She should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom