Curled Flight Feathers

Kilsharion

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Courtland, KS
I tried searching for this; but, I am probably not getting the right combination of words for a successful result.

I have a keet in the brooder, right now, and it has something very unusual happening with its flight feathers. The others all have nice, flat feathers. This one, the tips are turning in toward the body, so it always walks with its wings slightly extended...

The keet can close its wings all the way - I've seen it do so when the Dorking chicks decide to play pileup. But, most of the time, the keet walks around just like this...with the wings slightly extended. As you can see, the tips are curling in instead of being straight like the others' are.

Is this something to worry about? Or is it just, "Meh, that happens sometimes, don't sweat it."?

I get a few that start feathering out like that each season. I'd say that the keet should grow out of it, with it's first molt. Are you feeding them 30% protein starter feed by chance? That's when I've seen it happen with my keets... and it's usually just 1 or maybe 2 per random batch of keets. I'm not sure it's the high protein that causes it or not, but that's the only thing I've come up with as a possible cause (and is occasionally the only thing I do differently when raising my keets). If it does not grow out of it you may have issues with the other birds picking on it as they all mature, because it's "different" (Guineas can be cruel).

I'm feeding them the same as the chicks I have in with them...It's H&H Starter Mash (fermented) mixed with goats' milk.

Wanna see a cute site? 23 day old chicks trying to crawl under 4 week and a half old keets....even more cute? sneaking in for a midnight peek and seeing three of the keets playing "mama hen" to the day olds while one keet wanders around and "keeps guard"....**heart melts**

I'll keep an eye on them. No picking on others allowed...I'll separate them if I have to - but, a singular guinea is a lonely guinea
sad.png

Last edited:
Hmm ok, so high protein definitely isn't the culprit in your situation.

Yikes... day old chicks in with older keets
hide.gif
Tiny squish-able babies, with different heat requirements, and different protein requirements. Might want to keep an eye on your baby chick's ceres (nostrils), if keets don't have enough protein in their diet they can start cannibalizing.

I'll certainly keep an eye on ém. I have a separate brooder I can set up; but, so far everyone is doing well.

20% protein from the feed. Significantly increased by fermentation. Added to with the raw goats' milk and legumes/quinoa. I'm running about 25-26% protein, right now. With two sources of animal protein (fish meal and milk). I can up that pretty easily by adding more animal proteins into the mix, if it becomes necessary.

No one's showing a tendency toward feeling cold or hot, yet (ie. only bunching is at night when they are sleeping, and even then they aren't right on top of each other - and, they aren't panting nor adverse to being snuggled up). They have about 10 feet length wise to get away from the light or get close to it, depending on their comfort level. I've seen them wander from one end of the brooder to the other depending on mood/heat/etc.

I've never moved my light in all the times I've used my brooder - my birds move themselves to adjust their temperature. Whenever they all start staying at the "cool" end over night, they go outside into the 'big girl' brooder and then on into the coops....But, I'll certainly keep an eye on them to make sure no one is picking on anyone else and that the chicks are not getting nibbled on....they seem to be the ones doing the most antagonizing, not the poor keets.
sad.png
Just like little sisters tagging along wanting to go everywhere with you...

edited: btw, this is what I was basing my protein ratio off

Quote:

Last edited:
I prefer to feed 27% protein or higher, because my keets just didn't seem to thrive well/ feather out and grow fast enough on 25% (dry, game bird starter)... but whatever works for you/your birds. I'm sure your birds are getting wayyyy more nutrition from your FF and goat's milk than mine are from my dry game bird starter (and some un-pasteurized apple cider vinegar with Mother added into their water). I really should start my keets on Fermented Feed, but I've been too lazy, lol. I have had 3 double bucket systems going for some of my adult flocks of Guineas, Turkeys, Peafowl and Quail going since last Oct (that just kicked it up a notch with all this warm weather)... they all eat it like it's candy and they are glossy and beautiful. Good stuff.

With only a few keets and all that brooder space you might not have any issues. But yah, having a plan B is always smart.

I prefer to feed 27% protein or higher, because my keets just didn't seem to thrive well/ feather out and grow fast enough on 25% (dry, game bird starter)... but whatever works for you/your birds. I'm sure your birds are getting wayyyy more nutrition from your FF and goat's milk than mine are from my dry game bird starter (and some un-pasteurized apple cider vinegar with Mother added into their water). I really should start my keets on Fermented Feed, but I've been too lazy, lol. I have had 3 double bucket systems going for some of my adult flocks of Guineas, Turkeys, Peafowl and Quail going since last Oct (that just kicked it up a notch with all this warm weather)... they all eat it like it's candy and they are glossy and beautiful. Good stuff.

With only a few keets and all that brooder space you might not have any issues. But yah, having a plan B is always smart.

Thanks for all the information. It's very, very helpful.

I love the FF...I just find it so ironic that with all the fermenting I do, I'd never considered it until I saw that thread. Funny how the mind works.
smile.png

What's fermented feed?

Fermented Feed is feed that's been fermented....So sorry, I'm trying not to laugh at myself - but, as I wrote that out, I realized it could, potentially, sound really snarky
hide.gif
. It's not! I promise. It is just that...well, that's what fermented feed is. You can read all about it here, on this thread. Be warned, it's hellaciously long; but, well worth the read, IMO.

I mix my FF with various left over legumes or grains I may have - the other night, I made chicken n dumplins, so I had left over lentils in the bag that I didn't use. Instead of storing them, I just dumped them in the FF bucket and called it good. I scoop it out in the morning, dump goats' milk into it, and (this morning) dried mealworms, stir in some dry feed just to help make it not so soupy for the keets and chicks, and serve it up on a large tupperware lid. They mob it. They get a second serving in the evening.

The grown chickens get theirs soupy with lots of hidden treasures. This morning it was bananas and black berries. My grown chickens free range when we are home and the dogs are out. When we are not home, I tell them to "go inside", and they run over to their coops. I never realized I was such a creature of habit - but, apparently, I have always said exactly that - and, there's always treats waiting in the coop for them when I do. I never would have believed chickens were so smart to pick up on things; but, they are.

I'm just wondering if the keets will grow up to do the same thing...I doubt it, as they are much more wild than chickens - but, it would be nice if they did.

And, truly, welcome to BYC.
smile.png

Last edited:
Guineas are creatures of habit, they like routine and learn quickly by repetition and example. They will most likely do as your chickens do... especially once they make the connection that it means to go get their yummies. It'll become an automatic reflex for them to run to the coop if they hear you say that and see other birds running that direction.

Back
Top Bottom