Curled Toe Paralysis in 2 yr old Hen???

StarFox7585

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2015
Bostic, North Carolina
History: 2 yr old Red Star hen. Noticed decreased vision 5 days ago. Hen was walking right along fence and bumping into other hens. Isolated her to prevent injury. Difficulty connecting with food in my hand, she would peck into the air. Head movement noticed as well. When she holds her head still it would move backwards. She would have to constantly move her head down to counteract this. 3 days after being isolated vision improved but she cannot stand. Her head movement is still there but much less severe. She can move her legs but from her knees? down she can't. Her toes are curled and have no tone. I've started adding vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics into her water. They all eat Nutrena Laying Pellets that I purchase from Tractor Supply. Normal poop, alert, showing no signs of discomfort or pain. Eyes bright with no redness or drainage. Eating and drinking very well. Other hens are perfectly normal. Have 5 hens and 1 rooster in an enclosed 40'X15' lot. Laying eggs normally.

Any ideas? I've not come across anything in my research. Especially not with a chicken as old as 2. Thank you all.

Last edited:
History: 2 yr old Red Star hen. Noticed decreased vision 5 days ago. Hen was walking right along fence and bumping into other hens. Isolated her to prevent injury. Difficulty connecting with food in my hand, she would peck into the air. Head movement noticed as well. When she holds her head still it would move backwards. She would have to constantly move her head down to counteract this. 3 days after being isolated vision improved but she cannot stand. Her head movement is still there but much less severe. She can move her legs but from her knees? down she can't. Her toes are curled and have no tone. I've started adding vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics into her water. They all eat Nutrena Laying Pellets that I purchase from Tractor Supply. Normal poop, alert, showing no signs of discomfort or pain. Eyes bright with no redness or drainage. Eating and drinking very well. Other hens are perfectly normal. Have 5 hens and 1 rooster in an enclosed 40'X15' lot. Laying eggs normally.

Any ideas? I've not come across anything in my research. Especially not with a chicken as old as 2. Thank you all.

I'm sorry about your girl! Here is a link that may give you insight on possible problems she may have. http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/28.pdf Ask as many q's as you need to, we are here for you.
smile.png

Any insight is much appreciated. Hoping it's not cancer...

It's hard to know if it is cancer. What is easier and most likely to improve the bird now, is vitamin supplements. In the link I gave you, it explains that the neurological symptoms your bird has could be malnutrition, toxicity/poisoning, vitamin deficiency. Malnutrition can be malabsorption. Toxicity and poisoning could be from contaminated food or something she ingested that was poisonous out in the yard. Vitamin deficiency could be that she is not eating properly, like too much junk food or she cannot absorb nutrients in the feed properly. Start with the simple things like checking the feed, seeing what she eats and adding vitamins to the water.
smile.png

JustPlainBattt: Thank you for that link. Has loads of great info in it. I've printed it out and added it to my "chicken book".

Update: started her on Cipro yesterday, my alternative to Baytril. Today she can flatten out her toes. Still bearing no weight but it's something. The other foot's toes are still curled up. She's a happy girl though despite her curled toes.

JustPlainBattt: Thank you for that link. Has loads of great info in it. I've printed it out and added it to my "chicken book".

Update: started her on Cipro yesterday, my alternative to Baytril. Today she can flatten out her toes. Still bearing no weight but it's something. The other foot's toes are still curled up. She's a happy girl though despite her curled toes.

YW. I hope she continues to improve! Update sometime?
smile.png

Took some pictures encase it helps anyone. She can now uncurl her other foot now! Yeh! Perhaps on the road to recovery? *Excuse her scabby comb, the others had started pecking at her before I noticed her symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom