Curled toe?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by popsicle, Aug 17, 2013.

1. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 11 poults of various breeds/colors that are almost two weeks old now. They've been eating turkey starter since the day they arrived.

My lone Auburn poult has had an assortment of issues--including splay-leg (spraddel leg, whatever)--and now it's got one toe that is curled.

I had a BBW turkey earlier this year that had the same issue. Basically, it looks like the middle toe of one foot was dislocated/broken and re-set itself sideways. It looks like it happens at the most-distal joint.

Is this a nutrition issue? Injury? Would splinting it help?

2. stephienoodle

stephienoodle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    near Charlottesville, VA
    I have no answers for you but I want to see what others say. I have a 2 1/2 week old Narragansett with the same problem. Splinting was a dismal failure.

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I've never seen it in turkeys yet, but vitamin supplements added to the water always cute it in chicks. But I usually do the vitamins in the first week since the spraddle legs and curled toes are usually present at hatch. I'm not sure if it's too late, but it's worth a try.

4. mrclif

mrclif Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Alabama
    I had a 5 easterns that were give to me three of the 5 had toes that weren't straight, I've "heard" its due to improper incubation. I got em the day they were hatched and they are almost 6 weeks old and their toes are still crooked but they get around fine. I've supplied viatims and so forth but it hasn't helped,but they don't seem to be handicapped or uncomfortable.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by