Curled toes- does it need treatment?

Sphinx

Crowing
13 Years
May 10, 2010
Utah
I've occasionally had chicks with slightly curved toes, but it seems like it gets better in a day or two.

I had to help a chick out almost 48 hours ago after a prolonged hatch. Her toes seemed a bit more curled than average, and hasn't bounced back as quickly. Does this need treatment, or do you think they'll straighten on their own? She is about 46 hours old now.

And, because sooooo many people have been curious about how this all resolved, I'll update.

I kept the boot on for about 20 hours or so. I was going to be gone the rest of the next day and evening, and didn't want to keep it on when I couldn't be keeping an eye on the chick. So, I saw definite improvement. Maybe it should've been left on longer, but I feel it was better to risk not having a full recovery- I felt like the chick was slipping a bit, and at risk for developing a splayed leg.

hey i got a chicken from the farm supply , it was only about a week or so old. we noticed it was not walking and getting weak. Then we noticed that its foot was all curled up, like it was deformed. so i calld the farm supply place back. Of course they said to kill it etc. nothing you could do. Of course no value of life to them. Which I would never do.

Got on line and some wonderful person had a article about using pipe cleaner to spread out foot naturally. we left it on for about a week or so-. by the way we used tape around each toe- imagine it was very small....

IT WORKED. I STILL HAVE THE BANTAM AND SHE IS RUNNING AROUND.. I hope this helps. there is hope just need suggestions. Good luck and many blessings.

I'm glad your story turned out so well. I think mine will too.

After posting that last picture, I decided I could work a little harder on it, and taped the foot again. This time, I left it on for 3 days or so. Took it off, and it seemed much better.

Chick is now 16 days old, and I think she looks great.

Back
Top Bottom