Curled toes on year old hen

KayMc

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2020
I just got a hen a few weeks ago, a white leghorn, Easter egger cross. She is a year old. She seemed fine the first couple weeks, at the top of the pecking order, but then started getting more mellow and fell to the bottom of the pecking order. She wasn't rushing out when we opened the gate for free range like the other hens did and wasn't rushing over for treats like she used to. A couple days ago, I saw that a couple toes were curled under and she was having a hard time walking, using her wings to balance. Today, she is having much more difficulty and most of her toes are curling in when she walks. I can't see anything else wrong with her, and all the other chickens are fine. She eats organic layer crumbles. What is this and what can I do for her?

I keep reading about that in young chicks. But the feed she gets is not old. So what can I do for her, give her, and what can I do to prevent this happening again? Like I said, all the other chickens are fine.

I keep reading about that in young chicks. But the feed she gets is not old. So what can I do for her, give her, and what can I do to prevent this happening again? Like I said, all the other chickens are fine.
It may have something to do with the parents; sometimes the deficiency can be passed down. Let me look up a good article on this.

Ok, thanks. I have her isolated with her crumbles, greens, yogurt, beef liver (food high in Vit. B2 that I have on hand), and water with Vit. B drops in it. I couldn't find just B2, so got a B complex until I can order some just B2. She drank some but will not eat, even when I tried to give some mealworms.

Water is more important; a chicken can go several days without eating (although not ideal). In a day or so try making her some scrambled eggs - maybe you can sneak a B supplement into it.

Ok, good to know, thanks! I feel so bad that I didn't do something about this sooner. Lesson learned... If a chicken starts acting off, there's probably something going on!

Ok, good to know, thanks! I feel so bad that I didn't do something about this sooner. Lesson learned... If a chicken starts acting off, there's probably something going on!
Yes chickens are creatures of habit... abnormal behavior is usually a bad sign. I’m still learning too, just lost one to sour crop bc I had no idea what I was doing 😢

Back
Top Bottom