Curling feathers and bleeding from getting pecked at!

What are you feeding them?
Picking can sometimes be a sign that they need more protein.
Chick starter usually has enough protein, but check the bag to be sure.
You could try offering them some scrambled egg each day, as a protein supplement.
A bit of scrambled egg will not do any harm, and might help.

Excessive heat can make picking more likely. Depending on what temperature that area is, they may not need any supplemental heat by this age. (They might, or they might not-- it depends on the temperature in that room.)

Boredom can also encourage chicks to pick at each other. It can help if you give them things to sit on, and especially things to pick at and things to scratch in. Clumps of sod often work well, and are often easy to get (just dig it up from a corner of the yard.) Dead leaves, bits of other kinds of bedding, a shovelful of compost or even dirt, leaves of lettuce, pieces of apple peel, a pinch of grit-- there are many ways to make their life more interesting. (I have a preference for things that I have available and do not need to buy specially. This is not an exhaustive list, just trying to give some ideas.)

The thing I think is most likely the main problem with your chicks:
Crowding and lack of space can encourage chicks to pick at each other. I would try to give them LOTS more space. As a rough estimate, I would aim for at least 4 times what they have there, and maybe up to 10 times as much space. Yes, I do mean those numbers literally.

Maybe you can get a giant cardboard box, or take pieces from several boxes and assemble them into a big space. Cardboard is usually pretty easy to get, and should last long enough for what you need. Then you can dispose of it at the end.

They are a little tight on space but it is because they have been in it for 3 weeks now and they are getting bigger but there coop will be here in about 2 weeks.

Chicks grow very quickly. If you try to keep them in that space for two more weeks, I am pretty sure you will have dead chicks.

It is much easier to make one giant space, than to separate chicks into a bunch of individual spaces and pairs, trying to keep them from picking each other. Having them all together in one big space is also better for them.

It is also easier to make a big space NOW than to deal with a bunch of problems, and make the big space next week.

Also, the longer the picking continues, the more it becomes a habit, so it is best to get it stopped as quickly as possible.

What are you feeding them?
Picking can sometimes be a sign that they need more protein.
Chick starter usually has enough protein, but check the bag to be sure.
You could try offering them some scrambled egg each day, as a protein supplement.
A bit of scrambled egg will not do any harm, and might help.

Excessive heat can make picking more likely. Depending on what temperature that area is, they may not need any supplemental heat by this age. (They might, or they might not-- it depends on the temperature in that room.)

Boredom can also encourage chicks to pick at each other. It can help if you give them things to sit on, and especially things to pick at and things to scratch in. Clumps of sod often work well, and are often easy to get (just dig it up from a corner of the yard.) Dead leaves, bits of other kinds of bedding, a shovelful of compost or even dirt, leaves of lettuce, pieces of apple peel, a pinch of grit-- there are many ways to make their life more interesting. (I have a preference for things that I have available and do not need to buy specially. This is not an exhaustive list, just trying to give some ideas.)

The thing I think is most likely the main problem with your chicks:
Crowding and lack of space can encourage chicks to pick at each other. I would try to give them LOTS more space. As a rough estimate, I would aim for at least 4 times what they have there, and maybe up to 10 times as much space. Yes, I do mean those numbers literally.

Maybe you can get a giant cardboard box, or take pieces from several boxes and assemble them into a big space. Cardboard is usually pretty easy to get, and should last long enough for what you need. Then you can dispose of it at the end.

Chicks grow very quickly. If you try to keep them in that space for two more weeks, I am pretty sure you will have dead chicks.

It is much easier to make one giant space, than to separate chicks into a bunch of individual spaces and pairs, trying to keep them from picking each other. Having them all together in one big space is also better for them.

It is also easier to make a big space NOW than to deal with a bunch of problems, and make the big space next week.

Also, the longer the picking continues, the more it becomes a habit, so it is best to get it stopped as quickly as possible.
Umm, that is kinda scary. I will send this to my mom because while I am old enough to make my own decisions this is not my house. So I will talk to my mom about this. I don't know if we will have space for what you are saying. I do want you to know that I appreciate you though because this is exactly what I have been telling her but she says we don't have space for a bigger area and that they will be fine, so if I can't convince her to give them a bigger space will the seriously die? My aunt has raised chicks many time and has had them in that size area until they went outside but come to think of it tons of her chicks have died and I wonder if lack of scape was the cause 😳 Also, we are using naturewise chick starter grower 18% protein, I think they should be fine with that. But do you have any tips on what to do with the little chick with the stripped back?

if I can't convince her to give them a bigger space will the seriously die?
I'm guessing some will and some will not.
But that is a guess- they might all survive, or you might end up with just one bully that makes it.
It can be hard to predict with chickens, and even ones with "the same" conditions can have different results.

we are using naturewise chick starter grower 18% protein, I think they should be fine with that.
That is probably fine.

You might try giving the chicks some scrambled egg on occasion anyway-- even if they do not need the protein, at least it will give them something else to think about.

But do you have any tips on what to do with the little chick with the stripped back?
I think you are right to separate her for now, but it's not really a serious injury. Since almost all of them have now been picked, you may be able to put her back with them in a day or two. Putting her back will work better if they have other things to think about, so they do not just start picking again.

I will talk to my mom about this. I don't know if we will have space for what you are saying.
In that case, do the best you can.
The fact that cardboard boxes can be cheap, and that you can throw them away at the end, may help convince her-- it's just to get the chicks through a few more weeks until they can go outside. It's not a permanent thing, and you don't need room to store it afterward.

You don't have to make a big square or rectangle. Depending on what space is available, an L shape might fit better. I'm looking at the two plastic tubs next to each other. Even making that amount of space available to all the chicks would be an improvement.

Also, giving them things to peck at and think about can help.

If you have grit, drop a little pinch on the floor in their space. It's a new thing, and they can spend some time deciding whether it will eat them or whether they can eat it.

You can put a little bit of chick starter in a jar lid and add water, and let them eat it. Again, they will probably be terrified at first, but will probably decide they like it after a few tries. A bit of wet chick starter several times a day can make their life a little more interesting, and of course it has all the same nutrients whether they eat it dry or wet.

For now, I would try to give them a little bit of something as many times each day as you can. I think the real value is that they have to think about the new thing, and decide what to do about it. So don't use things that are actually poisonous, but you do not need to stick with things that are edible. It's best if they don't eat large amounts of other things anyway, when they are this young, but small bits should be fine. Try to keep the brooder mostly dry, so not too many wet things.

Some possibilities:
You might pick a few blades of grass, and use scissors to cut them into little pieces that chicks can easily eat. (Long blades of grass can tangle in their crops, which is why I would cut the grass into short bits.)
You can give them a leaf of lettuce or dandelion to rip apart. Or a bright yellow dandelion flower.
A bit of apple peel or melon rind may keep them busy for a while, as they try to pick little bits off it. Just about any fruit or vegetable trimmings are good possibilities, so look at what is available each day.
If you have any hay or straw or dried grass, they can have some of that too. They will scratch through it looking for things to eat, but they will not really eat much of it.
You could shred up some paper and drop it in.

she says we don't have space for a bigger area and that they will be fine...My aunt has raised chicks many time and has had them in that size area until they went outside but come to think of it tons of her chicks have died and I wonder if lack of scape was the cause 😳
They will probably not ALL die.
And chickens are individuals. Some are more likely to pick at others, and you may have one of those. It might have worked better with a slightly different group of chicks.
As regards your aunt's chicks, space could be one issue, but there are plenty of other possibilities too.

How much space the chicks need "until they can go outside" also depends on what age they go outside. In some climates, at some times of the year, chicks can go outside at one week old. In some other places or seasons, they need to be 8 weeks old. An amount of space that is fine at 1 week can be way too small at 8 weeks! For your own chicks, that space would have been fine if you were able to move them outside last week.

Since you will want to move them out as soon as you do have the coop, try to reduce their heat as quickly as you can now. Don't make them cold enough to be distressed, but try to keep them just as cool as they can be comfortable. Possible steps: move heat lamp further away, and even further, turn off the heat lamp during the day, turn off the heat lamp at night, maybe open a window so the room gets extra-cool.

If you are able to take the chicks outside to play in the daytime, that could help them get used to outdoor temperatures, and also distract them from picking each other. Of course this may be limited by how much time you have available, because you cannot leave them unsupervised unless they have a safe place outside (which they probably don't, if your coop isn't here yet.)

I'm guessing some will and some will not.
But that is a guess- they might all survive, or you might end up with just one bully that makes it.
It can be hard to predict with chickens, and even ones with "the same" conditions can have different results.

That is probably fine.

You might try giving the chicks some scrambled egg on occasion anyway-- even if they do not need the protein, at least it will give them something else to think about.

I think you are right to separate her for now, but it's not really a serious injury. Since almost all of them have now been picked, you may be able to put her back with them in a day or two. Putting her back will work better if they have other things to think about, so they do not just start picking again.

In that case, do the best you can.
The fact that cardboard boxes can be cheap, and that you can throw them away at the end, may help convince her-- it's just to get the chicks through a few more weeks until they can go outside. It's not a permanent thing, and you don't need room to store it afterward.

You don't have to make a big square or rectangle. Depending on what space is available, an L shape might fit better. I'm looking at the two plastic tubs next to each other. Even making that amount of space available to all the chicks would be an improvement.

Also, giving them things to peck at and think about can help.

If you have grit, drop a little pinch on the floor in their space. It's a new thing, and they can spend some time deciding whether it will eat them or whether they can eat it.

You can put a little bit of chick starter in a jar lid and add water, and let them eat it. Again, they will probably be terrified at first, but will probably decide they like it after a few tries. A bit of wet chick starter several times a day can make their life a little more interesting, and of course it has all the same nutrients whether they eat it dry or wet.

For now, I would try to give them a little bit of something as many times each day as you can. I think the real value is that they have to think about the new thing, and decide what to do about it. So don't use things that are actually poisonous, but you do not need to stick with things that are edible. It's best if they don't eat large amounts of other things anyway, when they are this young, but small bits should be fine. Try to keep the brooder mostly dry, so not too many wet things.

Some possibilities:
You might pick a few blades of grass, and use scissors to cut them into little pieces that chicks can easily eat. (Long blades of grass can tangle in their crops, which is why I would cut the grass into short bits.)
You can give them a leaf of lettuce or dandelion to rip apart. Or a bright yellow dandelion flower.
A bit of apple peel or melon rind may keep them busy for a while, as they try to pick little bits off it. Just about any fruit or vegetable trimmings are good possibilities, so look at what is available each day.
If you have any hay or straw or dried grass, they can have some of that too. They will scratch through it looking for things to eat, but they will not really eat much of it.
You could shred up some paper and drop it in.

They will probably not ALL die.
And chickens are individuals. Some are more likely to pick at others, and you may have one of those. It might have worked better with a slightly different group of chicks.
As regards your aunt's chicks, space could be one issue, but there are plenty of other possibilities too.

How much space the chicks need "until they can go outside" also depends on what age they go outside. In some climates, at some times of the year, chicks can go outside at one week old. In some other places or seasons, they need to be 8 weeks old. An amount of space that is fine at 1 week can be way too small at 8 weeks! For your own chicks, that space would have been fine if you were able to move them outside last week.

Since you will want to move them out as soon as you do have the coop, try to reduce their heat as quickly as you can now. Don't make them cold enough to be distressed, but try to keep them just as cool as they can be comfortable. Possible steps: move heat lamp further away, and even further, turn off the heat lamp during the day, turn off the heat lamp at night, maybe open a window so the room gets extra-cool.

If you are able to take the chicks outside to play in the daytime, that could help them get used to outdoor temperatures, and also distract them from picking each other. Of course this may be limited by how much time you have available, because you cannot leave them unsupervised unless they have a safe place outside (which they probably don't, if your coop isn't here yet.)
Thank you so much for all of your help! I am going to find something that they can explore right away! And about the space, I have the request for a bigger area to my mom! I hope we can find some ways to occupy them and for then to have a bigger space.

Back
Top Bottom