Curly toe treatments

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Alright I’m picking up a chick to treat it for curly toe. What is the best and fastest treatment for it? I’ve heard Vit E and selenium which I have from my old wryneck hen but what else? She basically walks on the sides of her ankles at this point

Attachments

• IMG_5160.jpeg
    IMG_5160.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5161.jpeg
    IMG_5161.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 13
Alright I’m picking up a chick to treat it for curly toe. What is the best and fastest treatment for it? I’ve heard Vit E and selenium which I have from my old wryneck hen but what else? She basically walks on the sides of her ankles at this point
If the cause of the foot/leg issue is vitamin/nutritional deficiency, then you want to give B2(Riboflavin).
The easiest way to give is to pick up a bottle of Vitamin B-Complex and give the chick 1/4 tablet daily.

Leg issues may be hard to correct, they can also be caused by poor genetics or certain disease like Marek's, Mycoplasma S, etc.

Bringing in random chick(en)s, just be aware that you risk bringing in sickness, so try to keep the newbie separated out from your existing flock(s) and practice good biosecurity.

If the cause of the foot/leg issue is vitamin/nutritional deficiency, then you want to give B2(Riboflavin).
The easiest way to give is to pick up a bottle of Vitamin B-Complex and give the chick 1/4 tablet daily.

Leg issues may be hard to correct, they can also be caused by poor genetics or certain disease like Marek's, Mycoplasma S, etc.

Bringing in random chick(en)s, just be aware that you risk bringing in sickness, so try to keep the newbie separated out from your existing flock(s) and practice good biosecurity.
Perfect we have those!

I heard with frizzles is likely genetics. The rest of her flock is fine (6 siblings, few hens, couple cockerels and a rooster) so I’m guessing it is genetics. Is there any kind of brace I can give her to help or will it just correct itself over time?

Perfect we have those!

I heard with frizzles is likely genetics. The rest of her flock is fine (6 siblings, few hens, couple cockerels and a rooster) so I’m guessing it is genetics. Is there any kind of brace I can give her to help or will it just correct itself over time?
I would see if she improves with vitamins.
If not, you can try wrapping the legs with vet wrap to see if the extra support is of benefit.

Are you using riboflavin tablets or B complex with riboflavin. Riboflavin tablets contain way more riboflavin that they need. B complex has about 1.7mg of riboflavin compared to 100-300mg in some supplements.

After looking into it more I found out it’s not curly toe at all. It’s some sort of vitamin deficiency or slipped tendon making her leg grow crooked. I’ll be exercising her leg and making her a brace and giving her rooster booster/poultry cell

Attachments

• IMG_5353.jpeg
    IMG_5353.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 11
There are a number of possible leg bone deformities, such as varus or valgus deformity, twisted tendon, tibial dyschondroplasia or TD, and the common vitamin or mineral deficiencies with rickets, along with the slipped tendons seen just after hatch. Injuries can happen as well. Hopefully, it will get better, but some of those are not treatable.

There are a number of possible leg bone deformities, such as varus or valgus deformity, twisted tendon, tibial dyschondroplasia or TD, and the common vitamin or mineral deficiencies with rickets, along with the slipped tendons seen just after hatch. Injuries can happen as well. Hopefully, it will get better, but some of those are not treatable.
Yeah I’m trying treatments, I really hope they work… if they don’t and she’s not suffering I know someone who has a disabled flock

Back
Top Bottom