Current egg pricing

Meca

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2014
right here.
I'm located in Michigan and I've noticed in the stores egg prices are rising. Im assuming it's because of the bird flu. I live in a very rural area that people don't make a lot of money. When we started selling eggs two years ago we started at $2 per dozen. Which, yes I know I am not making much $$.

This morning I raised my prices to $2.50.. Has anyone else increased their prices?

Saw an article a couple of days ago about the price generally rising because of the bird flu. Haven't seen it here yet, but I have only looked in bigger stores where they try to hold the down the price to keep the customer happy.

We haven't seen the increase from the bird flu yet here in SE PA. Eggs at my store have been $2.79 for white & $3.19 for brown for a few months now. Still no one wants to pay over $2 for backyard eggs, so I don't sell mine. For some reason they think they should be cheaper than the store eggs!

I would feed my eggs back to the chickens or donate them to the food pantry before selling them for less than store prices. I get $2.50/doz here, and may go up to $3 if store prices go up. Customers are getting a superior product in home grown eggs, and certainly shouldn't be paying less than store prices.

I haven't tried to sell mine yet. Someone around the corner from me is charging $4. I can't imagine paying that much for eggs. That's why I have chickens, lol.

We may hike our prices again depending on what happens with the bird flu. They found it here in Michigan. :-(

Around here there are several locals selling organic eggs for $5-$6/dozen. I think non-organic go for $3-$4/doz. Our feed store will sometimes buy eggs and organic or not, they buy them for $4.00 and sell for $4.50. This is area is a mixture of low-income and affluent and there seems to be enough folks who understand the value of farm eggs. I did the math once (for our organic setup) and it costs us $10-$12 to produce a dozen eggs. We don't raise them to save money, but to be able to have really (I mean, REALLY) good eggs. You can't buy eggs like this, anywhere. In Seattle they have some fairly good eggs that go for about $9/dozen. But if I am going to pay that much for eggs, I'd rather do it myself and have them be even better!

Back
Top Bottom