current incubation a quasi-fail... can I add more eggs on day 6?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by technodoll, Jan 4, 2011.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    So upset [​IMG]

I put 26 silkie eggs in the bator on Dec 30th as I really want baby silkies from my roo, and I've seen him mate with his girls.

Just candled the lot:

21 infertile eggs
    3 possible quitters
    2 possible embryos, not sure though

I could cry [​IMG]

Can I add more eggs to the bator at this point?

Will it mess things up on day 19 when I have to up the humidity and remove the automatic egg turner should any of the current eggs actually evolve into hatching chicks?

I want babies!!

Thank you for your advice!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you checking on day 5??? I would hold of on calling it a failure till day 7 at least. Day 5 the most you will see is maybe some vein structure... By day 9 you should have a good eye formed and easily noticable.. I wouldn't toss on day 5 at all.

3. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:Good point- Some take longer to notice development- I wouldnt count them out yet. good luck!!

4. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:Yes, I checked on Day 5 and most of the eggs (21 of them) were clearly infertile.

They are small white silkie eggs, easy to see embryo development at this stage... I kept the 5 that had "some" veining but most looked like quitters with a blood ring.

I am ready to add more eggs to this incubation today, my question is what do I do with temps and humidity and the turning tray on day 18 for the current eggs I have in there, IF they turn out to be good ones next time I candle in a week?

Please help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by