Current Internet Theory

Pics
I do this with my eggs. I have 3 18 pack cartons in the fridge. Family knows to take eggs from the top carton, right side. I fill the cartons under. Once a carton is empty, it goes on the bottom to get filled as needed. If I get one that has a slight crack, I put it in front and eat it first. Everyone has been really good with it (but I did have to label the inside of the carton with arrows “start on this side” 😂
I tried a system like that. I was largely ignored.

First in, first out (FIFO) means that the first thing that came in (oldest feed) goes out first. Every time you get new feed, you move all the old feed and put the new stuff behind it. Then you sell from the front of the pile (oldest feed.)

The other poster said LILO (last in last out), which would be pretty much the same (newest stuff came in last, and only gets sold after all the older stuff has been sold.) But I'm pretty sure that was a typo. They probably meant:

Last in, first out (LIFO) means the last thing that came in (newest feed) gets sold first, while the oldest feed sits in a corner and gets older and older. Every time you get new feed, you put it in the front of the pile and sell it first. The old feed may sit there for months or years, until one day there's a shortage of feed and someone finally pulls the old stuff out and sells it.

It's easier to just sell the newest stuff first, because you don't have to shuffle things around, so that's what people often do by default.

These terms apply to any situation where new stuff comes in and old stuff goes out. So it could be applied to a home refrigerator (put the new milk behind the old one, and finish drinking the old jug first) and to grocery store shelves (new cereal behind old cereal, new cans of soup behind older cans of soup), and to a deli as some people were mentioning above. I've even heard computer programmers using the same terms, when talking about how a computer handles & stores pieces of information.
I did mean LIFO... Ironically, I had just been called to the warehouse for their latest fiasco and was typing in a hurry. Thanks for clarifying.

I need to go into town today, and I'll stop at TSC to get a small bag of chick starter. 5 out of 6 of my hens look like they should be laying, but only one is, and she's been "off" for a couple days now.

I'm going to feed the chick starter, beginning tomorrow, and see if that changes anything. I can't control the other major factor -- the weather -- so this will be the variable. Yes, the days are getting longer, and that may play into it too.

I usually feed Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker, so I want to stick to something in that protein range. A small bag should last me a week or so...? And then I'll go back to the Kalmbach feed.

I will post a picture of the label and the mill date.

I need to go into town today, and I'll stop at TSC to get a small bag of chick starter. 5 out of 6 of my hens look like they should be laying, but only one is, and she's been "off" for a couple days now.

I'm going to feed the chick starter, beginning tomorrow, and see if that changes anything. I can't control the other major factor -- the weather -- so this will be the variable. Yes, the days are getting longer, and that may play into it too.

I usually feed Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker, so I want to stick to something in that protein range. A small bag should last me a week or so...? And then I'll go back to the Kalmbach feed.

I will post a picture of the label and the mill date.
I looked up the Kalmbach. All the key nutrition points looked good. I don't see that a switch to starter would really be any change.

I looked up the Kalmbach. All the key nutrition points looked good. I don't see that a switch to starter would really be any change.
I'm going to add some data to the "I switched feed, and my chickens started laying" study.

If they start laying, and then stop when I switch back, that might mean something. Or it might not. If they don't change their laying, that might mean something. Or it might not. If the start laying, and then keep laying when I switch back, that might mean something. Or it might not. It's my own independent, informal study.

Basically, I think I'm just bored because it's winter. I want to be out in the garden, but the ground is frozen solid.

but I did have to label the inside of the carton with arrows “start on this side”
I tried this, too. It was ignored. Now I simply put the carton of eggs to be used smack in the middle of the frig, and hide the others in the crisper. It’s not like anyone is going for kale before eggs and bacon in my house anyway :gig

I tried this, too. It was ignored. Now I simply put the carton of eggs to be used smack in the middle of the frig, and hide the others in the crisper. It’s not like anyone is going for kale before eggs and bacon in my house anyway :gig
I hide candy under the squash in the crisper, nobody touches it.

This is the Kalmbach I have been feeding.
IMG_3120.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

Mill date (22269) is September 26, 2022. Ok, over 4 months old.

I bought 2 5pound bags of Purina Flock Raiser. Its protein, Met, and Lys levels are the same as Kalmbach. (20, .55, and 1.1, respectively)
IMG_E3130.JPG

IMG_E3132.JPG

IMG_E3129.JPG

It's also 7 1/2 months old, milled June 14, 2022. The other bag is a month older, if I'm reading the date codes correctly. (Cringe!)

I'll start my chickens on this tomorrow. This will be the stuff in their bowls and what I use to make their mash snack. Since this stuff is so old, I'm going to use it for one week, and assess how they seem, health-wise. I'm also going to give them "meat snack" (what's left after I make bone broth) on Sunday. They get that about 1x every two weeks, and they're due for that special treat.

Back
Top Bottom