Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

ANTEBELLUM is about to drop into your local Redbox.

- - -

Also at Redbox:
Last night we detoured from our usual fare of spy movies and action-packed films into a more sedate think-y film, "ARCHIVE." No bullets, car chases, exploding helicopters. More along the lines of "Ex Machina" and "Replicas" as the plot chronicles a lone scientist at a futuristic secluded outpost in the wilds of Japan and his robots. The robots are rather funny as they're a little TOO emotional. It plods along, but -- be forewarned -- there's a great twist to the movie that's both unexpected and thought-provoking.
Thanks!

I will check into antebellum.

Are folks going back to the movie theaters or just renting etc? IF it was just me I would take the risk but, not when I could be bringing covid back to other folks. Not worth it ever!!

We haven't been to a movie theater since the pandemic started. I think it could be possible to physically distance, but it would be hard to ensure everyone would keep their masks on. We don't really go anywhere except the grocery story because we don't want to risk getting sick/spreading the virus.

My daughter and I saw Cuties (Mignonnes) last night. It's a French film that isn't controversial in France, but has received more mixed reviews in the U.S. A county in Texas took Netflix to court to ban the film. The first 3/4 of the film was a sweet take on the difficulties of being a tween girl, focusing on the life of an 11 year old from a religiously conservative family. Some of the dance sequences during the last 1/4 of the film though seemed gratuitous and were hard to watch. I think the filmmaker could have made her point without the problematic dance scenes and close ups.

We also rewatched The Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) and Isle of Dogs (2018) this weekend for probably the 101st time. They are both such a pleasure to watch (although pitched as children's movies) with characters voiced by all-star casts.

Just saw The Big Sick and from the description it was not at all what I expected. I expected a romantic comedy involving an interracial relationship. About the only comedy in this movie is that the main character is a comedian. I did not laugh but I cried a great deal. I also lost faith in modern medicine. I wont spoil the movie but I will say that if doctors knew the difference inbetween bacteria and inflammation it would have been a lot shorter movie. Very disappointed

Thank you all for reviews & opinions. I haven't been to a movie since "Knives out," with Daniel Craig starring.(January) I don't care for him as the new James Bond but, he was very excellent in this movie.

Thank you all for reviews & opinions. I haven't been to a movie since "Knives out," with Daniel Craig starring.(January) I don't care for him as the new James Bond but, he was very excellent in this movie.
I keep checking for that movie at the library but nothing yet. All we're getting in is a lot of foreign films. It was rare we went to the show before Covid and now it just seems pointless. Last time we went was Jurassic World. I loved it but with 2 tickets, a shared popcorn and a shared drink it was 40 dollars. I remember a time I could go on a date with twenty dollars and come home with change. Now with inflation and everything...well making out on the couch when the movie is boring is far easier. Plus if the movie is really boring our bed is closer and we dont have to wait for it to end!

Our show- an AMC has cheaper rates for seniors (that means my brother & I), and used to have an even better deal on the earliest showing of the day. But, they dropped that quite some time ago.

I never had the $$ to splurge on concessions. But with AMC, if you are a member you get a free large popcorn & drink on your birthday. Of course with the covid going around, I didn't go on my birthday (July) not worth the risk.

Our show- an AMC has cheaper rates for seniors (that means my brother & I), and used to have an even better deal on the earliest showing of the day. But, they dropped that quite some time ago.

I never had the $$ to splurge on concessions. But with AMC, if you are a member you get a free large popcorn & drink on your birthday. Of course with the covid going around, I didn't go on my birthday (July) not worth the risk.
We're both in our 30s so no special rates for us other than a matinee. I would sneak my own popcorn in but something about that butter they put on there is undescribable. I've never found a taste that compares. The compromise is that we share a popcorn and a drink rather tgan we both get our own. I'm pretty sure based on our consumption I could not finish my own if I had one because we never finish the large popcorn between the two of us. The drink always needs refilling though which I usually end up doing on a potty break. I wish they would bring back intermissions! Especially for movies running longer than 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom