Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN

I'm drawn to the mental health plot movies - I've had friends with bi-polar, etc. and the long word with phrenia at the end - can't spell the beginning. I like to check the movies out and see if their portrayals are accurate.- or just for dramatic effect. "Silver Linings" was right on. Side Effects was good but, more in the "mental illness OR evil."

Thanks, UrbanChicken, for the thumbs up on Salmon Fishing on the Yemen. It's still in its Netflix envelope, but next on my agenda. Watched Beasts of the Southern Wild today and give it a thumbs up.

Saw Beautiful Creatures on the big screen last weekend. Not my cup of tea. But the good news is that I got a pair of Sea-Bands, these acupressure bands that you put on your wrists and even through the scene with the spinning table, I did not get motion sickness. That was pretty amazing.

The only new movie I've seen this year was Les Miserables. Two thumbs up for sure! Everybody was sniffling. The intro was stunning and High Jackman is very impressive as Valjean.

Though as a fan of the stage production, I was disappointed by Russell Crowe's performance - his voice isn't strong enough for the part of Javert. Great directing, though, and the other singers were very good. I just have to go back and listen to Philip Quast!

Just let 'em rip. I figure people rent movies and by the time they come out, they don't remember what they are about. So older movies are welcome.

I just saw a new one, "Jack the Giant Slayer." It was very good despite so-so reviews, the battle scenes much better than in the Hobbit. They weren't the same battles shown over again and again. It had a really good cast Nicholas Hoult( who was great in "Warm Bodies.", Ewan McGregor(from Star Wars), Bill Nighy (from Pirates of the Carribean, Exotic Marigold Hotel, and Stanley Tucci- who is great at anything). Can't remember who the girl part was.

I felt the same about" Les Miserable"- the only letdown was Russell Crowe, he didn't have much of a singing voice and was just so so acting.

OK, cool, I really love movies and doing reviews on them LOL!

Hotel Transylvania PG--Excellent animated family film; recommend to all.

Total Recall PG-13--The remake of the 80's action movie. I was not impressed. Not enough story and background. I love the original, and was disappointed by this one.

Rock of Ages PG-13--I really expected to hate this movie and went into thinking it would be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised and I really enjoyed it!

Prometheus PG-13--This one I actually went to the Drive-In to see, I was so excited. As an avid fan of the Alien(s) movies, I was really stoked. I thought it was good and enjoyed it thoroughly; I'm a bit of a sci-fi person though LOL!

Gomesbantams YES I want to see "Olympus Has Fallen," also. Did you notice the flashbacks(?) to scenes from "The Prestige,". ie, girl in a water tank, machine that transports people, and Michael Caine saying "Watch Closely."

The" Prestige" came out years ago starring Christian Bale & Hugh Jackman as bitter rival magicians. Michael Caine was involved. I saw that movie 5 times trying to figure out everything I saw, then I bought a copy. I still love that movie. If Olympus is half as good, I would love it.

Sorry guys major senior moment - I want to see the movie "Olympus has Fallen," but that ISN'Tthe movie that has elements from The Prestige.

Darn, now I don't know what the name of that is. Something with the guy from the Facebook movie, Michael Caine, Woody Harrelson re:robbing a bank far away, while they are onstage, and giving most of the money to people in the audience.

Think it is time for my nap.

Back
Top Bottom