Current predator problem solved. WARNING GRUESOME and sad.

Gingerlilypad

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Central Mississippi
Over the past 7 months, I have raised 24 guinea keets and 24 Barred Rock chicks. A neighbor refused to keep their dogs from coming to my home (1/2 mile away). These dogs killed 19 of my guineas within a short time from when they were removed from the brooder.
Numerous complaints to the neighbors did no good to restrain their dogs. Although after their killng spree with my guineas, I didn't see the dogs.

I decided to accept it, and got some chicks to brood. While they were in the brooder, I spent a lot of time trying to make my pen predator-proof, in spite of being semi-handicapped. Yesterday I turned my chicks loose out of the brooder (they were 12 weeks old). My chicks seemed happy, running around, scratching.

This morning, I got up, looked out, three dogs inside the pen and all of my chickens are dead. I cannot figure out how the dogs got in, but they could not get out.

My shotgun worked very well this morning. I will be going out in a few minutes to pull the dogs out of the pen to dispose of them and my chickens.

SSS Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up.

I don't know yet if I will try again. This hurts so much.

Sorry for your massive loss. I'm curious how the dogs got inside but couldn't get out... maybe they jumped in but not enough room to jump out?
Post pictures?

I'm very sorry about everything
hugs.gif
but maybe since the dogs are gone now you can raise more chickens or whatever and you don't have to worry about the dogs.

As I was cleaning up the dogs and chickens, I found a hole where the dogs dug under the fence, including the three feet that covered the bottom. But too stupid to get out. The top is covered, so that is the obvious way they got in. I thought that three feet covering the bottom would be enough, but I found out nope not enough. If I decide to get more chickens, I am going to cover the entire bottom with wire and cover it with sand
My last chicken pen had only three feet of wire on the bottom, covered with sand.

Can't post pictures because I use a mobile device.

My husband says I will get more chickens, but I am not so sure.

Three feet of fence covering the bottom?
Is it an "apron"?
What kind of fencing? hardware cloth or poultry fence or ...?

Chicken wire, one inch holes, covered with dog wire with 2"x4" holes. Going up three additional feet on the inside. The wire was 6' wire bent in the middle. The outside wire (also chicken wire with one inch holes) had boards nailed across the top and bottom (1x6 boards). The dogs dug under the boards, under the three feet of bottom wire to get into the pen. Oh well. It wasn't enough. The dogs were too determined to get into the pen.
Moot point, all my chickens are dead. The dogs are dead.
And I just wonder why I even bothered trying to have chickens.

If you get chickens again (and I hope that you do) run several strands of electric fencing around your pen at varying heights. Once shocked is generally enough to educate.

What an absolute bummer. I have a metal hex deer fence + electric around my entire backyard. Seems to be working well. I hope you try again but would definitely take the extra precautions up front. I wish you the best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom