Currious and stummped (Edited 4 better Pics, possiable breed, gender?)

ChickenwecallDog

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Aztec, New Mexico
My 12 year old had a school project incubating and hatching eggs in his 6th Grade Science class. The teacher let everyone bring home and keep one of the Chicks with parental consent. Our chicken is named Peep otherwise "the Chicken we call Dog" when my son is at his fathers house. I have never been around chickens until now and have no idea what Peep is. I have done alot of looking online and to be honest I am still confused. Can anyone help me figure out what breed Peep is and if male or female? Thank you in advance
hugs.gif
I hope the pictures help. Peep is very active and hard to keep still.
60501_06145435.jpg

60501_06145456.jpg

60501_06145629.jpg

60501_06145629.jpg

60501_06145652.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually glad to hear "girly" lol. I edited the pics for a better look but they still seem ... off a bit. Peep is very active and hard to get good pictures of with the camera phone (I REALLY need to invest in a new digital). Peep is good at following us around the house, in the yard, and perching on my shoulder while I type away here at the computer, but when I hold the phone to snap a few pictures, Peep just can't seem to stay still
roll.png
Deffinately has been interesting to have a chicken for a pet though! I asked my hunny yesterday how mad he'd be if I brought home a second one rofl

CWCD is about 1 month old? I'm not really sure on the exact hatch date since it was a school project for my son.... He was in ISS for cutting class with his GF the day the chicks hatched. My son brought CWCD home on the 27th of May (last day of school here) and I was told by his teacher the chicks were about a week and a half? I wish I still had Mr. C's number I'd call him to find out for sure
sad.png

Last edited:
I don't know much at all about the different breeds other than what I've been finding online. A lot of the white breeds look very similar to me at the young stages like CWCD (I have a TON of learning to do still) I started looking at some of the White Wyandottes I've found here and on other sites, as well as at the Leghorns, White Jersey Giants, and a few others. CWCD has started "flying" or "jumping" and "falling gracefully" over the last week, however I've yet to see full out flight. I'm not sure if that makes much of a diffrence in the type of breed CWCD may be or not.

One more question kinda off topic but has anyone here ever had a chicken lay down and play dead in their yard on command? CWCD follows us around like a puppy would do but earlier this afternoon when me and the kids were outside my 8 yo son jokingly told CWCD "play dead!" and the chicken flopped over on its side and LOOKED like a DEAD chicken laying in the grass! It was the neatest thing in the world lol, but I'm not sure if this was something like a faint or if it was just something that is normal for a chicken.....

Thank you to all of you for the comments and the help you have given me thus far! It's deffinately a major help!
big_smile.png

The fact that you say she is flighty and really active, I'd guess Leghorn. She looks just like mine, and mine has been crazy-active. The first to fly out of the brooder, fly to the top of the coop, the fence, anywhere. She also often reminds me of the Roadrunner cartoon as she takes off across the yard at full speed, then comes to a dead stop for no apparent reason. Nutty- just a nutty, fun bird. And I'd guess pullet, too, but it's pretty early still.

The playing dead thing is just weird... funny, though.

Quote:
Thats about how it looks when CWCD chases the kids across the yard lol! It's the craziest pet I have ever had but so much fun at the same time! I think I have more fun with the bird than the kids do ROFL. At least until Daniel and Thomas get back from their fathers house then CWCD is all Daniel's
smile.png

Quote:
What you're describing is probably your chick sunbathing. They will be running around and then all of a sudden an especially nice sunbeam will tickle their fancy and...flop.... Right down like a dead bird. They will stretch their wings and legs and look really strange. Very similar to the dust bath too!

Not sure what kind of chick you've got there but cute! I am guessing (and I mean guessing!) maybe white leghorn?

Oh, also, chickens are flock animals and really should have a friend or two or four..... that is my reasoning for having a whole flock. And it's true!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom