1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cut feathers on feet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Avrilon, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Avrilon

Avrilon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Georgia Mountains
    I have a light brahma hen who is going through her first molt. Prior to the molt, the feathers on her feet were not that noticeable; they were small. But now they are huge and she is walking in a very pronounced way - lifting her feet very high each step. Poor thing probably feels like she is wearing clown shoes the feathers are so huge! Would it be okay to cut the feathers back a bit so she isn't overwhelmed by them? Or, is that not wise? I thought she'd get used to her new "feet", but it's been a month at least and she is still walking like they are in the way.

Thanks for any advice. :)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have no experience trimming feathers but just be careful as there are blood feathers that they can bleed to death if you aren't careful and they start bleeding. You might search byc for blood feather to see what I'm talking about???

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=blood+feather
    I have feather footed chickens too and they do lift their feet up high as they walk. I wouldn't trim them if it were me.

3. Avrilon

Avrilon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Georgia Mountains
    Thank you; I'm so glad I asked. I will do some research on blood feathers. Maybe she will get used to her new feathered feet in time.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have a whole fleet of feathered feet. I can assure you that any feathers that are truly in the way of their walking, will get worn down naturally. There's no need whatsoever to try to trim them.

You do need to keep an eye on them, though, since they can get caked with feces and mud, which could lead to foot rot if ignored. I inspect feet often and do quick foot baths when needed, but often, simply pulling the caked mess off the feathers and from between the toes is sufficient.

5. Bantam 1975

Bantam 1975 Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    I would not cut the feathers on your Cochin Bantams. The feathers help to insulate their feet, and bird on cool nights, and during winter. Due to their small size they need all the insulation they can get. And on hot days they work as fans sweeping air under their body which helps to cool them down when walking. And as the others said, there are risks of cutting blood feathers. All that is needed is to limit the amount of mud in their area, and keep them clean. No need to mess with the natural way of things.

6. virgooftheearth

virgooftheearth Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Methuen Ma.
    I had yhe same issue, can i ask a question? When your hen was filling in with foot feathers for the first time, did the feet swell etc? My bantum is having a hell of a Time with hi first molt, he is in sickbay as i speak due to bumblefoot. I have 2 birds with that. And yes keep their feathers, if they are in the way they'll get worn like another commenter said.. good luck oh, and when u post, PICS are wonderfuk to see the issue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by