cute litte button quail FOOT ISSUE?

Hello! I would try 1/2 to 3/4 tsp (if a scoop is a tsp) per gallon. I believe it's multi-species, but to be on the safe side, I would start with that. : )

Hello! I would try 1/2 to 3/4 tsp (if a scoop is a tsp) per gallon. I believe it's multi-species, but to be on the safe side, I would start with that. : )
Thanks! I tried a quarter scoop for half gallon so I didnt make too much. I even drank some to make sure it wasn't super salty. Tasted fine. That dust that comes out of the bottle When I opened the bottle stinks!

How is your quail doing today?
Thanks for checking in on her! She is doing ok today. I just took a picture. You can see how her foot looks pretty well if you zoom in. I hope she isn't in pain. Just changed their water. They make a mess.

Attachments

• 0510211853.jpg
    0510211853.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 9
It really looks like she isn't comfortable putting a lot of weight on it. She can move fast still. Her feathers are growing fast.

I will post updates. Thank you for helping me with her. 😊 I hope I can give her a decent life.
GREAT NEWS!! Leg is FIXED! She is running around and standing tall and proud!!

I have upped the quails' water to full strength vitamin solution. I finally made a little shoe that stayed on and it worked very well! The shoe was made out of a thin peice of cardboard and some "Nexcare Absolute waterproof tape." Had to cut the tape in half because it was too wide. I made the shoe for her on the 11'th (tuesday) at 9:00AM and took it off on the 13th (thursday) at 9:00PM, so about 2 days it was on her. I made it wider than longer (Check the pic).

PLEASE READ so you dont do this like I did.....Actually taking the tape off was a nightmare. I had to get the help of my girlfriend. TAPE IS VERY STICKY. I read that using mineral oil helps to remove the adhesive. I was sloppy when dipping her foot in the mineral oil and I got some oil all over her little chest. I freaked out. I read that removing mineral oil you could use alcohol or hand sanitizer. So, i grabbed my squeeze bottle that has some 50/50 RUBBING ALCOHOL and washed off her chest and tried padding her dry with paper towerl. It worked but she was freezing, so I instantly had to get the blow drier and get her warmed up FAST. I was holding the heat lamp right over her shaking little body and running the blow drier for about 30 minutes in her brooder (not directly on her). I kept checking her temp with my infrared gun to make sure she wasnt getting too hot or too cold. Way stressful. Be careful is my only advice!! This kind of tape is very tricky to remove without hurting the leg. I had to use my girlfriends help. I even had to use my teeth at one point to help hold a piece of tape while I was holding her and removing the tape with my other hand. Poor baby bird must have been so scared. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Attachments

• 0511210905.jpg
    0511210905.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 6
GREAT NEWS!! Leg is FIXED! She is running around and standing tall and proud!!

I have upped the quails' water to full strength vitamin solution. I finally made a little shoe that stayed on and it worked very well! The shoe was made out of a thin peice of cardboard and some "Nexcare Absolute waterproof tape." Had to cut the tape in half because it was too wide. I made the shoe for her on the 11'th (tuesday) at 9:00AM and took it off on the 13th (thursday) at 9:00PM, so about 2 days it was on her. I made it wider than longer (Check the pic).

PLEASE READ so you dont do this like I did.....Actually taking the tape off was a nightmare. I had to get the help of my girlfriend. TAPE IS VERY STICKY. I read that using mineral oil helps to remove the adhesive. I was sloppy when dipping her foot in the mineral oil and I got some oil all over her little chest. I freaked out. I read that removing mineral oil you could use alcohol or hand sanitizer. So, i grabbed my squeeze bottle that has some 50/50 RUBBING ALCOHOL and washed off her chest and tried padding her dry with paper towerl. It worked but she was freezing, so I instantly had to get the blow drier and get her warmed up FAST. I was holding the heat lamp right over her shaking little body and running the blow drier for about 30 minutes in her brooder (not directly on her). I kept checking her temp with my infrared gun to make sure she wasnt getting too hot or too cold. Way stressful. Be careful is my only advice!! This kind of tape is very tricky to remove without hurting the leg. I had to use my girlfriends help. I even had to use my teeth at one point to help hold a piece of tape while I was holding her and removing the tape with my other hand. Poor baby bird must have been so scared. Thanks for the help everyone!!
So glad she is doing well! Great news!! : )

Back
Top Bottom