Cute or not cool?

mcdon

Hatching
Mar 15, 2016
Baytown, Texas
I have a situation I am hoping to get some help with. I have three, four month old Production Reds and three two month old chicks. Two of the Reds roost on the perches like good chickens do. The chicks roost in a corner of the coop floor. The other Red sleeps on the floor with the chicks. This looks real cute, but I am wondering if it may mean this Red is going to be prone to being broody. Can't wait for them to start laying.

Maybe. But maybe she also just longs for a chance to huddle with the chicks like she used to not very long ago. They do have memories, but they also have individual preferences. I have two older hens who sometimes like to huddle together on the floor. They do it because they want to. I can't see that your pullet is doing it for any other reason, either.

It's more a matter of hormones than anything that determines if and when a hen goes broody. I have several hens that are regularly and intensely broody. I don't recall any of them acting maternal as young pullets.

They are all still babies, the older ones will all eventually roost, some can take up to 5-6 months. I would guess it takes time to build up strength and balance to grip a roost all night. The pile is easier and more comforting.

I appreciate you fellas sharing your thoughts. I've only had them for a little over a month and I already love those goofy birds. I go out every night to be sure they got to bed and to kick the red out of the nesting box.

If your oldest bird is only 4 months cover the nest boxes up till they get older and close to point of lay. by then all your girls should be in the habit of roosting and your life will be a lot easier if you don't allow them too sleep in the nest boxes

I had the boxes covered up for awhile until I figured they had their roosting patterns established. My bad. I guess you're right and I will have to cover them up for awhile longer.

I had the boxes covered up for awhile until I figured they had their roosting patterns established. My bad. I guess you're right and I will have to cover them up for awhile longer.
Eh, not 'bad', you learn as you go along.......flexibility is one of a chicken keeper best assets.

Back
Top Bottom