Cute saltbox chicken house

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
Hi, a friend of mine gave me this cute little house, I am sure many readers have one similar, or are thinking about getting one,
dawnacus 555.jpg
I have put tarp on top because although the roof is metal, on the underside, (inside the hut) I could see water streaks. I don't think the tarp is ugly or takes away from the hut, I just want it to last as long as it can. Also the wire if you can see in this pic, looks slightly pushed in, under the hut door, on the yard door, and on the front. I believe a raccoon did it when it, when the coop was at the friend's house. The wire was not pushed in all the way, and there was no holes, but I surrounded the coop with more chicken wire, just in case. There are things I like about this little coop, and it is little. It is cute, and I like the pull out tray. The coop I think is made for 2-3 bantams, or MAYBE 2 reg. sized hens. I brooded chicks in it and didn't have adult hens inside. Would I buy this coop? No. It may just cost from 150-300, not sure, but it is not quality. the walls are thin, and it is not sturdy. I have been to farm stores before, they have these huts, and they have decent chicken houses, the houses are much better, they may cost 800-1400 but it is worth it. Now if you want to get one of these, and I hope you just want to use it to temp. house baby chicks, or if you do get it have a tarp on top, or have it in a garage, or under a porch/awning.

Hi, a friend of mine gave me this cute little house, I am sure many readers have one similar, or are thinking about getting one, View attachment 1321925 I have put tarp on top because although the roof is metal, on the underside, (inside the hut) I could see water streaks. I don't think the tarp is ugly or takes away from the hut, I just want it to last as long as it can. Also the wire if you can see in this pic, looks slightly pushed in, under the hut door, on the yard door, and on the front. I believe a raccoon did it when it, when the coop was at the friend's house. The wire was not pushed in all the way, and there was no holes, but I surrounded the coop with more chicken wire, just in case. There are things I like about this little coop, and it is little. It is cute, and I like the pull out tray. The coop I think is made for 2-3 bantams, or MAYBE 2 reg. sized hens. I brooded chicks in it and didn't have adult hens inside. Would I buy this coop? No. It may just cost from 150-300, not sure, but it is not quality. the walls are thin, and it is not sturdy. I have been to farm stores before, they have these huts, and they have decent chicken houses, the houses are much better, they may cost 800-1400 but it is worth it. Now if you want to get one of these, and I hope you just want to use it to temp. house baby chicks, or if you do get it have a tarp on top, or have it in a garage, or under a porch/awning.
That looks really similar to my temporary coop. After I get my new larger coop built I’ll use the prefab coop to brood chicks, integrate new chickens, or for 3-4 bantams.
078FE215-F968-4F81-A30E-A2469ECF84CA.jpeg
333D2F0F-F207-4067-9DE1-7BAA861C95EE.jpeg

Your coop does look similar) Where the water was getting in my coop was along the wood trim on the roof. My roof was metal. Good luck on your bigger coop, I will keep an eye out for it.

Hi, a friend of mine gave me this cute little house...I brooded chicks in it and didn't have adult hens inside. Would I buy this coop? No. It may just cost from 150-300, not sure, but it is not quality. the walls are thin, and it is not sturdy. I have been to farm stores before, they have these huts, and they have decent chicken houses, the houses are much better, they may cost 800-1400 but it is worth it. Now if you want to get one of these, and I hope you just want to use it to temp. house baby chicks, or if you do get it have a tarp on top, or have it in a garage, or under a porch/awning.

Cute coop and for free it is perfect for what you are using it for.

I think that is this one which is nearly $400 (Yikes!) new:

https://www.amazon.com/SummerHawk-R...qid=1522722068&sr=8-119&keywords=chicken+coop

Also the wire if you can see in this pic, looks slightly pushed in, under the hut door, on the yard door, and on the front. I believe a raccoon did it when it, when the coop was at the friend's house. The wire was not pushed in all the way, and there was no holes, but I surrounded the coop with more chicken wire, just in case.

A raccoon will rip through chicken wire like it's not there.

JT

Well good thing I re-enforced it then. (not pictured but hey I mentioned that the re-enforcement was not pictured in the above.) I also have heavy duty fence line around the whole coop area, the chicken's spot is on about 1/4 acre.

My guess with the water marks on the metal roof is that it's from lines of condensation forming and then dripping, rather than a leak. If that's the case tarping it won't stop the condensation.

That said free is free, and it certainly is suitable for an isolation coop or to start a few chicks in.

That is a good point Rosemary- We get alot of snow here, I thought maybe it was from the snow melt, and was afraid it would rot out. Maybe the tarp is still a good idea in the winter with the snows. We have rain coming up in the spring, then we have dry, I will probably take the tarp off during the dry (We have sun, from May-Oct. Then snow Nov.-March.)

Back
Top Bottom