Cutest thing ever

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nugget, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    Wow, we're in a cold snap. It's -10 celcius tonight. We have an insulated and heated coop, but even with that it's -2 inside there. I poked my head in tonight to check things out and turn off the electric fan (it's a dry cold and wanted to let it warm up a little in there). While saying goodnight to everyone I noticed my bantam hen was missing. I started searching. She sometimes shares a nest box with one particular standard gold laced wyandotte and the 2 of them have been broody for some time now.

The little game hen was being incubated by the wyandotte. Her little head poked out of her wing like a tiny chick. The 2 of them were as happy as 2 hens could be, and I was standing there gawking at the cuteness like a fool.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I think we all would like to be a fool like this. How cute!

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That's really beautiful.
    JJ

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very cute.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Sounds so cute [​IMG]

6. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! I've never heard of that happening before! That's adorable! [​IMG]

7. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    I just wish I had a photo! I wonder if the wyandotte is going to start treating her like a chick [​IMG] They're already best buds. It would be something to see her protecting the game hen from some of the other bullies lol

8. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    My four chicks, now, getting quite big, all still pile up in the straw on the floor of the coop in the evening. When I let them out in the morning they are up on the roosts, but, when I go out to shut the door of the coop at night, they are all in a pile in the back of the coop... Maybe I ought to take my camera and get a photo of them.

9. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    A photo would be great! [​IMG]

10. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens keep warm by going up onto their high roost at night. Their heat rises up to the roof, where it's radiated back down on them by the ceiling. They tuck their heads under their wings, bring their feathers down over their feet, and sleep away the coldest nights.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by