cutting/filing down spurs...... how???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by spish, Aug 13, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i really need to trim the spurs on some of my roo's but ive never done it before....is there a how to sticky somewhere or can anyone tell me the best way? i dont want to complete remove them, just make them smaller/trim off the points. will they bleed?

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Watch:
    I know that you won't believe that it's actually that easy, but it is. My wife and I did it. She held the roosters, and I did the work with the pliers, and then she applied the Neosporin antiseptic. There were just a couple drops of blood, and the rooster showed no sign of any pain.

3. EggHunter_66

EggHunter_66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Box Springs,Georgia
    I use my dog's nail clippers and just clip off about 1/4" it bleeds a tiny bit but he does seem to care.

4. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    I'v used nail clippers and sand paper, its easy, thee ends of the spurs are like fingernails, it won't bother him much.

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I was taught to use a Dremel with the cutting blade. Works GREAT

The speed of the dremel actually cauterizes (sp) the blood vessels...no blood and no pain. It does smell a little, but not horrible. After I cut them down a bit, I use the sander attachment to "smooth and round off" the edges of the spur

Hope that helps

Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by