Cutting grass in run?

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
I have all of my LF chickens, ducks, and peas in a fenced-in "free range" area. It measures 40X150ft. I have 6 chickens, 7 ducks, and 2 peafowl in there. More chickens to come in a few months- bantams. As of now, the grass and weeds are hip high in places. So do they have too much room or am I feeding them too much? DH is going to put up a fence in the middle so the birds will have a 40X70 area. Can we cut the grass in there or will it hurt the birds to have the grass clippings laying in there? I've heard that grass clipping can cause impacted crop. What are your opinions, please?
Thanks!
smile.png

I have had grass in my runs for many years. I was always proud that I had grass to keep them busy. I had rather have the grass than an overcrowed muddy or dirt run. I just run the mower in there with the chickens loose. They just move out of the way and eat all the bugs when I'm finished. I have never had any problems with impacted crop.
fl.gif

Last edited:
i mowed mine the other day as soon as i was done they ran out and feasted on the bugs and grass clippings They seam to like there yard better know that they can see over the grass. I did live some parts unmowed so they have areas to hide in and pick the seeds off the grass

I did it, and outta 50+ chickens one did develop a impacted crop. I would still try it though, maybe a little at first, see how it does.

Well after 6 years of bird's No grass here.But after last fall and We went down to 0 bird's due to a lot of issue's and moving then moving back to farm I gladly have some very substansiated wildflower plant in the one area this year.There are some bushe's along the fence line but the bird's seem to enjoy the shade of the plant's too they are TALLLLLL lol.There are a couple of very Shady maple tree's which those two coop's share as well.Hubby asked if I was going to cut and I said No.We have hawk's too so a bit more protection from them while they are free ranging.My Millie's have tall grass in their's right now and we lost a columbian that was in with them last night think racoon so fixed run Again today maybe they will keep working that grass and stay safe.18 Layers 4 months old totaly cleaned out their new run once they got out in a couple weeks and they down to dirt now
hmm.png
. I don't bother cutting any grass where my bird's are going to be for a while they are like Goat's lol just take's them a bit longer lol.

Back
Top Bottom