Cutting my dogs nails... help... suggestions?

Quote:
Yep that. I've been doing my pup since she was little. I trained her to get used to having her feet handled from the day we got her, and what I would do was just pet her and touch a foot and ACT LIKE IT WAS NOTHING. The trick is not to make a big deal out of it. She'll let me do it because she knows I'm the boss, and she's good about it, but she still hates it
tongue.png
I've only made her bleed a couple of times, and usually it quits on it's own by the time I finish all the toes, so I don't keep anything on hand. Clearish nails are definitely easier!!! When the weather is good and we walk on pavement every day they file themselves down. She actually needs a trim now because we haven't walked much lately.

I also get roped into doing everyone else in the family's pet's nails, because ya know I'm just so good at it.
I'm not good at it, it's just the attitude that I have. I'm a no-nonsense bossy you-know-what about it. It's getting done and no amount of struggling or whining is gonna get you out of it
tongue.png
I do my dog, my sister's 2 cats, my MIL's cats.....they call randomly and say "next time you visit could you cut the cat's nails?" Cat's nails are REALLY easy to me, because they are see through. I just think they are afraid of their own pets. I rarely even get scratched in the process
hu.gif

How funny, just got a dremel today. Ive been clipping my guys nails and they are so good, but every now and again I quick them, and it just kills me. So that was my Christmas present to myself, a $19 dremel. In fact, I think Ill go open it up right now.

I use dremel also works great and if you have dogs with furry feet I was told to use old pantyhose and stick their nails through it to keep the hair out of the way I tried this once and caught the hose in the dremel go figure

I LOVE the pantyhose tip! Longhaired dogs take twice as long because of the hair hiding the nails. That tip should work with clippers too. I'm going to try it! Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

my malamute had long hair between her toes and around her nails... I trimmed the hair first then moved to her nails

I used pedipaws. Works great as long as I muzzle the dog so she isn't biting me. Fights me a lot less over too. She would fight and acted like like I was killing her when I used the clippers.

I whack my dog's nails back to the base of the nail and pack with kwik-stop. You can also let them run on dirt or mud for 20 minutes or so. It packs just the same. After that, I put them in the crate for the night. They are fine by the next day and don't need touched again for 3 or 4 months. Your local vet office would do the same thing, only, they use Silver Nitrate Pencils instead of kwik-stop.

You'll never hear clicking or see ruined floors. I was taught to do this by a Doberman P. breeder. It takes a confident helper and control of your dog.

Just clip them. There is no reason to worry so much. These are dogs. They don't have psychiatric issues caused by cutting a toenail. If you are afraid it just makes it worse. Do what you are doing and don't worry. If there is a nick, then put talc or cornstarch on it. You won't kill the dog even if you nick the nail once. There is nothing to be so afraid of. The more confidence you show, the better for the dog. It calms them. And if the nails are clear, you won't get too deep in most cases.

I was fine for years of doing it... 10 years i did then no problem... now that she had lost her sight i baby her and i am afraid for her.... I know its probably in my head...lol

Back
Top Bottom