Cutting my dogs nails... help... suggestions?

Dar

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
As many of you know I had a very large dog, she was a Malamute X Husky, she was over 100lbs at her best. I have cut her nails from the day we got her till the day she died. Not a problem. We have a smaller dog and i have cut her nails 100X before, when she had her sight. Now that she is completely blind I am having issues doing it. I am afraid that i will nick a quick, or hurt her, or she will panic because she cant see what we are doing.

I dont have any kwik klot on hand... can I use corn starch in case i do nick her quick? She has white/clear nails so i can see the quick but she is a squiggle butt.

I also have a min pin but i am scared to death to do her nails so she goes to the vet $20 each time
sickbyc.gif
and they nicked her last time they did it so I am thinking I may give it a shot cause why am I paying $20 for them to do exactly what I was afraid of doing.

so far I have been able to do her back nails... DH and I are taking a break so we dont stress her and then will get back at again in about 30 min

thanks for the suggestions and help..

You can use corn starch. I cut my doggies nails and some of them are white but most are black. Can you look down the middle of her nail and see the quick? Or are they to long? My suggestion is that you don't want to do to much. Since you cannot see the quick. I just kinda follow where the white ones need to be cut at and then eyeball the black ones.

Quote:
all her nails are white thank goodness... but the min pin on the other hand is black and i was just going to do the tips on hers until i get more comfortable

Dremel.
big_smile.png
I use it in a pinch, most of the time I keep Ginja's nails trimmed by throwing a ball around and making her go get it.

Quote:
gig.gif

dh just went and got it for me... i even have the little wand type attachment that they have at the person nail salon...

o and before we used to play the "get the kitty" game she would chase stray cats to keep them away and that would help keep her nails trim... but she is blind now... that game is gone...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno what I'll do when the "fetch" game can't be played, I do miss days when its snowy and cold, like the last few - but normally I go out and throw the ball even if its just a few times.

Dremel works well, it takes time though and the noise can freak them out a little bit.

She might be sensing your nervousness. I have a "thing" about long nails on dogs and usually end up cutting most of my friends dogs nails when I'm visiting. They are surprised that their dogs are so good when I do it, and so bad for them. I think it's because they sense the owners nervousness about it.
Anyway, have your hubby hold her under his arm like he is carrying her and just do it in a matter of fact way. If she pulls or struggles just say, "silly girl", and get it done. You can take off just the tips until you are more comfortable with it.
Good Luck!

I have a chiuahua hes 7-have done his nails every 2 weeks since he was tiny-I also have a cocker spaniel 11 months old-clipped his nails yesterday! was not easy but I did it all at once-better stress them once then taking breaks and re-stressing them. I did it on the couch and kinda laid against him so he couldnt squirm-talked to him the whole time saying good boy and such-when I was done 5 minutes later he went running around the house so happy and I dont have to hear that dang clicking! I also cut all my friends and families dog nails! I dont mind, but it gets a little bothersome from time to time-I do it because I know some of the dogs will suffer from too long of a nail if I dont do it because they wont bring them to the vets for that expense and they cant do it themselves...I do it for the dogs:)

Easy!
First, with the small dog, lift her onto a table. Dogs off the floor don't struggle as much.
Second, smear a tiny bit of peanut butter on her gums. Peanut butter is your friend!!
Last, following the natural bend of the leg, pick up the paw so the pads are skyward. Often, you can tuck a dog under your arm a little when you do this. In a gentle, huggy kind of way, no WWF moves neccesary.

Clear or dark, the underside of the nail has a groove in it. That's the quick. The nerve ends at the end of the groove, the vein goes a tiny bit past
So you can get a little bleeding without hitting the nerve - often when the dog yips it is because it is picking up on the owners nervousness, so is keyed up to start, then when the owner sees a tiny bit of blood they often squeeze without realizing it. It is the squeeze that makes the nervous dog yip.

But having a clear view of the grove, even that will rarely happen. Just clip where the nail is sharp and solid. Don't worry about getting it short. What we are concentrating on is OURSELVES. We are staying calm and matter of fact.

Do 2 or 3 nails and put the dog on the floor with a quick pat before it has worked it's tongue around to all the peanut butter. Walk of with the air of nothing happened.
Every day, a tiny smear of peanut butter and a couple of nails in a nonchalant fashion. Soon, both dog and owner are trained to have the nails done in an easy-going manner.

Back
Top Bottom