Cuttnig out windows in siding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kickinchicken, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    For those of you who are familiar with power tools: I have my siding up on the coop and need to cut out the windows and pop door openings. Should I rent a reciprocating saw or a spiral saw? Also, which one would handle the best for a woman. I am only 5ft 3in and don't have tons of upper body strength.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Do you have access to a jigsaw?? I'm a small woman, and I find a jigsaw VERY easy to work with and guide. Just drill a hole to fit the blade through and go to town...
  3. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I would not use a spiral saw, they are too hard to control and I don't think it's even possible to cut a straight line with one. Reciprocating saws are ok but clumsy and not easy to control either. I am female, 5'3" and understand your dilemma. I would use a sabre saw (also known as a jig saw). To get the initial opening for the blade to start, I'd drill several holes in a row until I had an oval opening big enough to get the saw blade into. Then you just line up the guard plate on the sabre saw with your cutting line and it's easy to stay on the line. Be sure you've got the right kind of blade for the material you're cutting. Good luck.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Quote:I totally agree! Also, whenever you can, don't use a power tool on your project, if the job is small and you can use a hand tool, instead. When I do my projects, I always use a handsaw if I'm cutting a couple of pieces of wood, a hand screwdriver if it's a project that I start and stop (like flooring my attic,) and I do NOT rent a power nailer--MUCH safe to put on the heavy gloves and pound.

There have been several posts on this forum of coop building projects that sent the novice builders to the hospital. (If memory serves), one was titled, "My $3,000 automatic feeder."
    Just lookin' out for you! [​IMG]
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm 5'4" and not tall enough for my weight, plus I only recently stopped smoking. That should give a clue as to my stamina.... but I used a jigsaw to cut windows in the coop I built all by myself. I had to hoist up the circular saw and make a small cut suitable to insert the blade of the jigsaw and work from that point.

The first corner of the openings was created in a curve past it, then I took the saw blade out, turned it the other way, and started back into it to make the corner. Then I took the blade out again, and cut the other straight line into that corner.

Hope that explains how I did it. The really tough part was hoisting up the circular saw to start the cut....
  6. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I just did this yesterday! I have a table saw, a circular saw, a recipricating saw, and a jigsaw and I used my jigsaw. It wouldn't be as safe using a circular saw on a vertical panel, not for me anyway. It was easy with my jigsaw. I used my scrolling blade and drilled holes first to make it easier. I have a bosch jigsaw, it's easy to change blades on it. I love it!
  7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    You didn't mention what type of siding you were cutting. If you are going to cut from the outside I would recomend a down cutting blade. I have cut countless Formica tops for sink fitting and these blades do not pull the splintering to the finish side of your work. If you use the Sawzall it means your hacking out sheathing for window and door openings before the siding is installed. it is not a pretty sight even when done by contactors. It just gets it done in a hurry. A small 4" circular saw can be used but not if you're not familiar with it. I used the the sawzall to do mine but I've been doing it for 40 yrs plus I knew I was going to trim around the window flanges.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  8. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    The siding is bead board, I think...looks like wainscotting. [​IMG] I think I will go with a jig saw. I have never handled a reciprocating or sawzall so I think I will go with what I have used in the past. I did have a jigsaw years ago and never replaced it when the motor burned out.
    Thanks for all your suggestions. [​IMG] I agree that using a circular saw would be dangerous on a vertical surface. I tried that on a previous coop and scared the bejeezus out of my self. Never again! [​IMG]
  9. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    many jigsaws have an adjustable bite or blade pitch keep it to a minimum and a blade with more teeth will cut slower but cleaner than a more agreesive blade will...
  10. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Well, I went to Home Depot and got a $40 Black and Decker jig saw. It was PERFECT. I bought the extra blades, 2 are for smooth cutting, which is what I needed. Now I have some, somewhat, nice rectangular windows for my birds. Gotta build some little perches near them so they can view the yard comfortably.

Its raining BUCKETS outside coop work! Poor girls are stuck in the shed all day. The sooner I get this coop done, the sooner I get my shed back. Its the final stretch: roof, trim, windows flooring and paint! You know, all the pain-in-the-butt stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by