.::Cycling Fans Come!::.

I have thousands of miles on road bikes, so I'll share some tidbits, which will make your life better.

Learn to ride with your feet strapped to the pedals. If you don't, you are wasting half of your energy, at the crank. Maybe more, because without straps or clip in's you tend to actually push up the trailing leg, with the power leg....With clips, you are applying power throughout the rotatation, with both legs.

People think that the handlebar position on road bikes is all about wind resistance, but it's more than that....The gluts[ butt muscles] are very large and strong, and when stretched, by using a drop handlebar, they act like giant rubberbands, which are trying to snap back to their original position.....In an upright, casual position, they never really get used. All of the work is done with the thighs.

A proper saddle height, so that the leg gets full extension, is important, not only for power to the pedal, but overall comfort.

RPM's. It's better to ride in a lower gear, and spin at about 80 rpm, rather than struggling along in a high gear, at 50 rpm....It's easier on the knees, uses less energy and keeps the lactic acid down in the muscles. That's why they have gears.

Helmets, at all times......Concussions kill.
Bright clothing, if you are going to be riding in traffic, and yes, ride with the flow of traffic, not against it.

Keep you tires aired up, properly. I can't tell you how many people I see, who ride around with their tires half flat, and don't even have a clue.

Hydration and energy bars, if you are going to be more than 30 minutes from the house.

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Very ture! Thats exactly how I ride. With look clips, drop handlebar, but with RPM's, I go 90-110.
tongue.png

Quote:
Very helpful! We live in the hills, so we see bikers all the time. At first I couldn't understand why they went with the flow, but later I realized that with all these blind corners half of them would be dead bikers if they went opposite ways. I think every sport has it's difficulty, and there is A LOT more to any sport than novices thought....like me! I don't know anything about bikes except to wear a helmet and go! I prefer horsebackriding!
tongue.png

Quote:
Very helpful! We live in the hills, so we see bikers all the time. At first I couldn't understand why they went with the flow, but later I realized that with all these blind corners half of them would be dead bikers if they went opposite ways. I think every sport has it's difficulty, and there is A LOT more to any sport than novices thought....like me! I don't know anything about bikes except to wear a helmet and go! I prefer horsebackriding!
tongue.png

Statistically, horse sports are the most dangerous for injury and death. They've probably excluded bull riding from that list.

Yes, I know. I'm aware every time I get on a horse I am putting my life at risk. Horses have their own brain, their own ideas, and being a rider I have to get my commands through to the horses head in a firm, strong manner - but when a stubborn horse throws a dangerous fit I know I cannot just jump off, I have to make him obey. But if he throws me, hoo man! I hope I don't land on my head! That's why I always get on a horse with a helmet. Many people make the mistake of hoppin' on the horse and run around w/o a helmet. Lot's of ppl die from that every week! Considering all that, it's worth it to ride a horse. I like the danger, I like having to be on my toes constantly, the stomach turning scares and most of all - I like working with difficult horses to refine my riding and help them become a more ride-able horse!

Back
Top Bottom