Cyst on leg

Cluckyz

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2022
One of my roosters started limping a few weeks ago. The first thing I looked for was bumble foot but didn't find anything on the bottom of his foot and he seemed to be moving his leg just fine so I separated him from the flock and kept him in a dog kennel for a while. His limp never really went away but I thought it had improved. Today I checked him again to see if he would be ready to go back with the rest of the flock and I found a cyst on the inside part of his leg (where the feathers start) that was oozing. I cleaned the area with chlorhexidine and was able to soften the plug and remove all the puss. I flushed it all out with some more chlorhexidine dried it with gauze and sprayed silver honey in it. I also gave him some meloxicam for pain. The pocket left behind is pretty big, should I continue with the silver honey or let it dry out? Is there anything I can or should do? I do have Metronidazole 500mg pills on hand as well as liquid Tylan and LA200.

Can you post a picture of what the leg lesion looks like? I think that I would continue to clean it for another day or two with chlorhexidene, and rinse that off. Then dry and apply antibiotic ointment a couple of times a day. Later, saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn can be sprayed on it. Are his spurs sharp? Do you think he could have injured himself with a spur or on some fencing? Skin cancers can pop up on legs and elsewhere, and they have a certain look to them, kind of like a crater with a scab on top.

Can you post a picture of what the leg lesion looks like? I think that I would continue to clean it for another day or two with chlorhexidene, and rinse that off. Then dry and apply antibiotic ointment a couple of times a day. Later, saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn can be sprayed on it. Are his spurs sharp? Do you think he could have injured himself with a spur or on some fencing? Skin cancers can pop up on legs and elsewhere, and they have a certain look to them, kind of like a crater with a scab on top.
I'll get some pics tomorrow when I'm flushing it again. He's only about a year his spurs aren't that big or sharp. It looked just like a bumble foot and the contents was custard chunky and yellow. I gave him some poultry cell and I'm letting him rest. The silver honey says it is an antimicrobial ointment.

Back
Top Bottom