D’uccle with one leg turned out

LaurEliz

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 8, 2018
Central Illinois
Hey everybody! I recently hatched 7 d’uccle eggs. They all hatched just fine on their own, no issues at all. They hatched last night and this morning. I noticed one is having a hard time standing. He kind of sits on his butt with his legs out in front of him. One of his legs slightly turns out to the side. All the other chicks are fine, and he’s eating and drinking alright. These are eggs I got from a breeder, so I don’t have the parents. They haven’t been exposed to any chickens I already had.

The other six are out in the brooder but I kept this guy inside for now in his own little space. I made him a leg brace out of medical wrap (like mentioned in this article https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html?m=1) but I’ve never had a chick with any sort of leg issues before so I don’t know if that’s the only issue or not. It looks like he’s not utilizing his toes properly on that leg either, but I don’t know if that’s its own issue or just that his leg isn’t aligned properly for it. He can get around, but he doesn’t really walk. He scoots and rolls.
He eats nature wise chick starter and has water with save a chick electrolytes in it, which is probably irrelevant, but I just thought I’d add it in case.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, tips, or ideas about what’s going on and how to give him the best chance at correcting it? I’d really appreciate anything you’ve got.

thanks in advance!

Could you post some pictures? That should help us identify the situation.😉
Yes! I did one with and without the little brace thing I made. Also took a close up of his toes because they look a little weird to me but I’m not sure if I know what I’m talking about. Hatching is far from new to me, but weird leg stuff hasn’t happened before. 😂 Time to learn!

Attachments

• C284937E-4ADB-42A6-9909-14515885123C.jpeg
    C284937E-4ADB-42A6-9909-14515885123C.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 83FE9AA7-45EA-44DD-98D0-276388427A17.jpeg
    83FE9AA7-45EA-44DD-98D0-276388427A17.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 602B6E64-0A29-487B-85A6-A35549E90AF6.jpeg
    602B6E64-0A29-487B-85A6-A35549E90AF6.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 16
  • B0E98B6B-B9FA-4FB1-B2FB-79C360B23C81.jpeg
    B0E98B6B-B9FA-4FB1-B2FB-79C360B23C81.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 12
Yes! I did one with and without the little brace thing I made. Also took a close up of his toes because they look a little weird to me but I’m not sure if I know what I’m talking about. Hatching is far from new to me, but weird leg stuff hasn’t happened before. 😂 Time to learn!
Yeah I wish I could help you. I have been through a situation similar to this one but my chick got stuck in a cup in her package on her way here. She couldn’t sit with her feet binder her right, she would slam herself into the walls of the container that we set her in, and she constantly threw up. All she needed to do was build up some strength and she did! She’s now 2 months old and doing great no problems anymore except that she has crossbeak.🙄 So hopefully someone more helpful will come on and be of assistance!😉

You can’t see her very well but she’s the one underneath the black chick. She had both of her legs out on either side of her body kind of like yours.😉 I had to feed her and make her drink water myself though.
3E15025F-7395-40C3-A909-005B12B777FE.jpeg

You can’t see her very well but she’s the one underneath the black chick. She had both of her legs out on either side of her body kind of like yours.😉 I had to feed her and make her drink water myself though.View attachment 2795973
I’ve been sticking my guy’s beak in his water every so often. He pecks at food on his own, so at least there’s that.

Just for anyone else who may encounter this issue later, wrapping his legs in the correct position with this medical bandage really has done a ton of good for him in just a couple days. He used to not stand on his feet at all, even when they were braced

Right now he can walk a little bit with no brace, so I let him do that for a few minutes per day, but then the brace goes back on, for now. I’m hoping within this upcoming week he’ll be well enough to go out in the brooder with his siblings. ☺️
ACD36C09-D3C1-4F9C-8D3E-1A79553C9725.jpeg
86C0EE6B-2583-4CE6-A5FD-05FE46ADADE6.jpeg

Just for anyone else who may encounter this issue later, wrapping his legs in the correct position with this medical bandage really has done a ton of good for him in just a couple days. He used to not stand on his feet at all, even when they were braced

Right now he can walk a little bit with no brace, so I let him do that for a few minutes per day, but then the brace goes back on, for now. I’m hoping within this upcoming week he’ll be well enough to go out in the brooder with his siblings. ☺️
View attachment 2798347View attachment 2798348
I’m so glad you found something that actually worked! He looks great! Really good job helping him!😁

View attachment 2798347View attachment 2798348
@LaurEliz for what it’s worth I definitely think you did the right thing. When I hatch d’Uccles they have a habit of getting straddle legged like that (it’s because of the bottom of the incubator we think) And we put them in a little leg brace just like yours and it fixes them right up. Hope your little girl is doing well now, d’Uccle really are great little birds :)

Back
Top Bottom