1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Does anyone know where to buy food grade DE other than by mail order?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Not sure if it's 'food grade' but I think I saw some at Lowe's one time, in the garden center.
    Hoping to hear more answers on this one.

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Most feed stores carry it. If you can't find it there, you can find it in smaller quantities at hardware stores. Sometimes health food stores carry it as well.

4. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Thanks. I haven't seen "food grade" anywhere. When I pulled it up on the internet, I couldn't find any retail stores offering it.
    Its interesting that we live in a relatively non-rural area, yet our local Tractor Supply doesn't carry much more than feed and waterers for chickens. They do, however, carry everything you can imagine for horses. Don't even know one person with a horse, so there must be a lot of hidden horses in our community.
    We have to travel about 50 miles to buy all natural chicken feed. The place we go to isn't likely to have D.E. They don't carry any kind of livestock medications. Not even Blue-Kote.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    is there a fleet farm by you, they carry it

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Here is a link to Perma-Guard DE information. If you scroll down and click on "Order From Your Local Distributor" you can search by state for local dealers. Unfortunately there is only 1 dealer listed in MI - I hope it is near you. If not, maybe you can call there and see if by some chance there are other dealers around that are not listed. My dealer in PA is not listed, and I found him by calling the closest one on the Perma-Guard list. Turns out it is very close to my house, and I pick mine up rather than order by mail. I do hope this helps [​IMG]
    http://perma-guard.com/index.html

7. 2dancingrats

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Thank you. I followed your link and found a distributor. They aren't nearby, but have a number to call to find out who they distribute to in my area. Great info!

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  9. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Btw, most stores don't call it food grade. As long as you do not buy it marked as a pool supply it should be fine. Most market DE as a pest control product.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Not in this area, none of the above. But then the feed stores don't carry grit, oyster shell or BluKote, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by