Da' Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread!

I think they are really cute. I would get one but they are loud, are really great flyers, and don't lay a lot of eggs. Only 25-75 a year. 
I didn't know they were so loud and the flying part is scary. Wouldn't want one to escape. I read somewhere they were created by people to quack to call in larger ducks for hunters. And I suppose their exceptional cuteness is just a by product of that selective breeding? Of course cuteness is subjective...

I didn't know they were so loud and the flying part is scary. Wouldn't want one to escape. I read somewhere they were created by people to quack to call in larger ducks for hunters. And I suppose their exceptional cuteness is just a by product of that selective breeding? Of course cuteness is subjective...
Yes that why they are called "call" ducks

Yes it is scary they can fly away!!

Well, they're kinda like bulldogs: Their original function was outlawed, so breeders switched gears and instead chose to make them as cute and cuddly as possible instead. And it worked!!
love.gif

As for loudness, the males really aren't that bad. Wobbles is CONSTANTLY making noise, but the volume is still pretty low. flying is easily kept in check by clipping; some aren't even that great of flyers in the first place. Like Wobbles. He's totally intact, yet he royally sucks at it!

Well, they're kinda like bulldogs: Their original function was outlawed, so breeders switched gears and instead chose to make them as cute and cuddly as possible instead. And it worked!!
love.gif

As for loudness, the males really aren't that bad. Wobbles is CONSTANTLY making noise, but the volume is still pretty low. flying is easily kept in check by clipping; some aren't even that great of flyers in the first place. Like Wobbles. He's totally intact, yet he royally sucks at it!
Male ducks period aren't as loud as females. As of flying the only way to be sure they won;t fly away is if u clip they wings constantly. Some don't try to fly away if they know that you are home and they are close to you.. As of wobbles... he doesn't fly away because he is a house duck. If he wasn't he might try to fly away to find a mate.

love.gif

I am happy to hear their original function of calling and luring was outlawed. Whew. I know people who hunt ducks and I've even eaten some myself but anymore I cannot stand the thought of it.

With regard to the cuddliness and cuteness in the breeding, did original calls look puffy cheeked and stubby billed? And I've heard you guys talk about show quality. Can non show quality Calls still be great pets? I really know nothing about this topic of breeding and genetics.

I am happy to hear their original function of calling and luring was outlawed. Whew. I know people who hunt ducks and I've even eaten some myself but anymore I cannot stand the thought of it.

With regard to the cuddliness and cuteness in the breeding, did original calls look puffy cheeked and stubby billed? And I've heard you guys talk about show quality. Can non show quality Calls still be great pets? I really know nothing about this topic of breeding and genetics.

Calls have a fascinating history, actually! They're considered the oldest domestic breed; so old in fact, we aren't entirely sure where they originated. We think somewhere in Asia, and then they eventually ended up in Europe, where their popularity took off. The fact that the breed is so ancient is also why pure calls tend to breed true. Some have tried to breed "quiet calls" but failed miserably. :p Also can't say if the forerunners were as cute and pudgy, but I'm gonna say that no, they weren't. Back then the only thing that mattered was size and noise factor. If you look at old-school shar peis, pugs, bulldogs and the like, they looked NOTHING like their modern counterparts!

As for quality, of course a low-quality call makes a great pet! The breed standards are mostly cosmetic, anyhow. Mostly. If you do get a low quality bird or a cross, it may not be quite as cute but it will still be just as cuddly. <3

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom